Mega Haxorus (Analyzed ep.5)

“Let’s dance, show me you are worthy of a main role.”
-Mega Haxorus

Hi guys, girls, dancing queen or anything in-between! It wasn’t part of what I planned, but since he got more votes than the others, here we are. So Haxorus… I remember watching his ability Mold Breaker and asking “What mold is he breaking?” Then I learned it and he became one of my favourite Gen 5 sweeper against my friend.
Be warned, since there is no competitive usage stats avaliable, I do not have any reliable ways to accurately predict the metagame. This analysis is theoretical and does not entirely reflect a Pokémon’s viability.

Typing, Stats, Abilities & Movepool

Dragon/Steel
Ability: Weak Armour (Mold Breaker/Rivalry/Unnerve(DW) before Mega)
Hp: 76
Atk: 182
Def: 130
SpA: 80
SpD: 90
Spe: 82

Amoung the greatest attack in the game, higher than Deoxis-A and Mega Rayquaza, great defence and speed ensure him his place in Uber. While his speed is low, we can’t argue we won’t destroy the OU by sneezing. So this will be an Uber analysis.

His speed loss upon Mega Evolving is a big problem here, from 97 to 82. Before Mega, be outspeed the base 90-95 like Giratina, Primal Groudon, Kyurem-W and Armored Zekrom. So, he can outspending them only when setting up a Dragon Dance or on the turn he Mega Evolve. But for a wallbreaker/sweeper of his kind, might be worth it.

Getting Steel type is a good thing. He looses his fire resistance and gain a Ground weakness, but he get a Dragon and Fairy neutrality and gets a crapload of resistances, 9 to be more accurate. Its really good. Moreover, he gets a Stealth Rock resistance and an immunity to the most used move in Ubers: Toxic. That makes him very hard to worn down by residual damages.

Weak Armour is interesting. Double Speed after contact move is good for a sweeper of his kind. With his great defence and resistances, he can get boost from many attack from Ubers like Bolt Strike, Brave Bird, Bullet Punch, Knock Off and Waterfall. After that, its sweeping time.

His movepool is short on some of its STAB, but he gets what he wants (mostly). Dual Chop, Outrage, Dragon Claw and Draco Jet for dragon. Steel is very short, having only Iron Head as a viable STAB. He misses out Bullet Punch, so he cannot act as a reliable Xerneas Revenge Killer, unlike fellow Steel Type Mega Scizor.

Sets Suggestions

Dragon Dance

Haxorus @ Haroxorusite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage/Dragon Claw/Dual Chop
-Low Kick/Superpower
-Iron Head

The choice of the dragon type is mostly by preference at this point. Outrage does monstrous damages, Dragon claw is a safer alternative while Dual Chop breaks past Focus Sash Deoxys in one hit, but increase Ferrothorn recoil. His ability Pre-Mega does not count that much, but Unnerve “could” prevent an opponent from eating a berry after he switches in.

Swords Dance

Haxorus @ Haroxorusite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Swords Dance
-Outrage/Dragon Claw/Dual Chop
-Draco Jet
-Iron Head

This set is riskier. It relies in his ability to get speed boosts and outspending much of the metagame, but comes with HEAVY rewards. Since he won’t always get a speed boost, Draco Jet is recommended.

Other Option

Rock Slide and Low Kick/Superpower can be used to better break past flying types and Ferrothorn respectively on the Swords Dance set. However, he looses priority, which leave him heavily reliant on his ability or looses his main STAB in the process. Endure may be used to be sure he tank any contact move, but has little use overall do to its 4 movelsot syndrome. Taunt is somewhat viable against defensive teams.

Good teammates

• Primal Groudon is a staple on every team. He can setup Stealth Rocks and check Xerneas with defensive set while also checking special Primal Kyogre.
  • Yveltal can switch on Ground Type attacks and like having a Steel companion to absorb toxic so it doesn’t have to use Oblivion Wing so often. Haxorus also checks Kyurem-White and Xerneas with proper setup.
  • Arceus-Ground check Primal Groudon for Haxorus. it also like Kyurem While being checked in return.
  • Arceus-Steel and Arceus-Poison handle Xerneas very well, things Mega Haxorus cannot do without proper setup.
  • Special Walls are great partner for Haxorus as they can switch on the special attack that target this dragon’s squishier special side.
  • Xerneas like Haxorus bleaching past some of its checks and they both forms a great sweeping core.

Check and Counter

• While Ferrothorn seems a good one at first glance, he is not as it require great Special Defence investment to handle Xerneas while Mega Haxorus hits too hard.
  • Status in Burn and Paralysis are big problems for Haxous as they ruin its sweep. Para-Prankster and Burn Prankster are problems.
  • When not carrying Draco Jet and Unboosted, Mega Gengar is faster and dispose of him effortlessly.
  • Special Attacker like Mega Gengar, Xerneas, Yxeltal, Mega Hydreigon and some Arceus variants are difficult to handle as they don’t activate Weak Armour and hits his frailer special side. Most of them aren’t a problem when boosted or when carrying the proper move.
  • With intact multiscale, Lugia eat anything like a boss and paralyse Haxorus, se make sure Hazards are up against stall.
  • Mega Mawile is kinda interesting. While it doesn’t stand a chance in the long-run, it brings Intimidate, dragon immunity and neutrality to fighting. So when unboosted, Haxorus is forced out.
  • Boost preventive methods prevent him for being unstoppable, as he got slow speed for Uber standard. But I guessed you figured it out.

Overall

As with Mega Ruingross, if he manage to setup, you are in for a nightmare (take that Darkrai!). Haxorus is a force to be recon with and anyone who underestimate his raw strength are in for a bad time.

What do you think of Mega Haxorus? Do you agree or disagree with me? Tell me in the comments and note for the next Pokémon!

• Keldeo
  • Mega Ferraligatr
  • Mega Crawdaunt
  • Mega Delta Typhlosion
  • Latios
  • Other
0 voters
6 Likes

Love it as always and now, how bout Mega Poliwrath?

1 Like

I wanna see mega crauwdant next lol, mega gatr is actually worse than life orb sheer force gatr btw lol

2 Likes

Are you sure about that? only need the analysis to find out!

1 Like

After using both at some point sheer force life orb gatr is FAR BETTER

2 Likes

You are forgetting mega heracross, Mega Mewtwo X, Mega Medicham, Primal Regigias & Mega Mawile have higher attack stats then this pokemon.

2 Likes

I know, that’s why I said AMOUNG.

2 Likes

The stupidity runs in the family. -Jojo

2 Likes

snort Tell me about it

2 Likes

Also I really wanna see an episode for mega jirachi lmao

2 Likes

Only one vote per person!

1 Like

Nope

Seriously @everyone vote for mega crauwdant

2 Likes

You know that doesn’t ping everyone, right?

2 Likes

I know, I am not that dumb ya know

2 Likes

I thought this was discord for a sec so I just tried to ping everyone lmao @PeterHolmes74

2 Likes

M. Hax LOVES Heal Bell, and this thing would be a beast in doubles. Activate weak armor with a weak move off a resist, like Aqua Jet, get an SD, and with WishSwitch/Bell/RagePowder/Follow Me support… Add the fact it resists most moves that hit both pokemon, like Rock Slide, Surf, Discharge… The only ones it has trouble with are the rarely used Lava Plume, and the far too common EQ.

2 Likes

I only see Landorus-T as a Top Tier menace in VGC. If it was a thing in Insurgence, Mega Haxorus would probably be in the top 5.

For those who don’t know, VGC bandits is the mythical and most of the box art legendary (exeption for Suicune who is unbanned and Mewtwo who is banned).

2 Likes

tbh swords dance shouldnt be run without webs support. dd lets u get the jump on fast mons like specs keldeo who otherwise could beat u and other base 110s and 120s even with ada

1 Like

Well, +2 in Speed from taking a hit makes DD seem not as worth it.

1 Like