Competitive Trainer School ep.5: Sample teams

Last episode

Hi guys, girls and everything in-between! I wanted to to that immediately after the team building one, but since I had to do the vocabulary, I do not now.

So, here, I will show an example of possible teams adapted to how I think would be the Insurgence metagame. Plus, I will explain my teambuilding process. I do have to mention I originally wanted to do one of each play style, but I don’t know how to build proper Hyper Offense and Stall teams. So I will be limited to what I do best, Balanced and Weather based. Just as a note, these are Insurgence OU and, for simplicity, I consider the Uber to include:

• All the previous Uber
  • Mega Delta Metagross (Ruin)
  • Crystal Delta Metagross (Ruin)
  • Mega Bisharp
  • Mega Chatot
  • Mega Haxorus
  • Mega Hydreigon
  • Mega Jirachi
  • Mega Flygon

I am not a professional competitive trainer. I do not pretends to hold the holy sacred Truth and in no mean replace experts and experienced players. I simply think I have strong enough bases to share my knowledge with less experienced players. This is especially true when I have to base myself on a theoretical metagame I imagined on my own. Do not expect these teams to be completely viable

Offensive
I wana start with ma boi Mega Typhlosion. I got a powerful sweeper in my hands already and I know the games I will play will be explosive ones.
hum… Hubris :drooling_face:
icon157_1
Back to reality. In my case, Mega Typhlosion is extremely weak to residual damages, especially Stealth Rock. I am choosing Latios as it is capable of checking Keldeo and various other water types. Keldeo have to be weaken in order to be KO by Hidden Power Grass.
252 SpA Mega Typhlosion Hidden Power Grass vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 238-280 (73.6 - 86.6%) – guaranteed 2HKO
icon157_1 icon381
I want something against Heatran, I don’t want to rely only on Focus Blast from Mega Typhlosion to get rid of Heatran. I am choosing Keldeo because it not only check Heatran, but also check Dark Types and Pursuit trapper that can remove Latios and thus making Mega Typhlosion vulnerable. Also, since I don’t see Soul Dew in the Smogon’s OU sets and only in Uber, I assume that Soul Dew is banned.
icon157_1icon381 icon647
Next, I am choosing Rotom-W due to its ability to pivot into Tornadus-T, Delta Blaziken and being able to burn menacing Bisharp and other physically offensive threats.
icon157_1 icon381 icon647 icon479_2
Then, I need hazards and more reliable switch-in for Fairy aside from Typhlosion. I choose Ferrothorn in that case. It will provide utility by spreading Thunder Wave and make Mega Typhlosion’s job easier and also checking Delta Arcanine to some extend.
icon157_1 icon381 icon647 icon479_2 icon598
Lastly, I want a Revenge Killer. To complete my Volt-Turn core with Rotom-W and synergy with Ferrothorn, I decide to go with Choice Scarf Landorus-T.
icon157_1 icon381 icon647 icon479_2 icon598 icon645_1

The team

Typhlosion @ Typhlosionite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
Timid Nature
-Eruption
-Flamethrower
-Hidden Power
-Focus Blast

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
IVs: 29 HP
Timid Nature
-Draco Meteor
-Psyshock
-Recover
-Defog

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Scald
-Secret Sword
-Hydro Pump
-Icy Wind

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Will-O-Wisp
-Pain Split

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Relaxed Nature
-Steath Rock
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball
-Thunder Wave

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Earthquake
-U-turn
-Stone Edge
-Toxic

Toxic is there to lure and cripple Bulky Waters

Bulky-O
I’m starting like I did with the offensive team, but I want something that suits a more defensive/offensive playstyle. For that reason, I choose Mega Metagross. Its really BROKEN. Meteor Mash, Zen Headbutt, Earthquake and Thunder Punch. Its just so broken.
icon376_1
Since I want the best partner to Mega Metagross, I choose Keldeo. Keldeo checks Mega Szicor, one of the only reliable counter to Mega Metagross and Mold through Bisharp while Mega Metagross slaps the Lati twins and other problematic Fairy. Here, I would use Choice Scarf instead of Choice Specs becasue Metagross is already strong enough as a wallbreaker. Togeter, they form a seriously strong core.
icon376_1 icon647
I would like some sort of ground immunity. I also want some defog, so why not slap a Latias? Healing Wish Latias would allow me to play my Pokémon more agressively and sacrifice Latias late game so I can freely let Mega Metagross on dangerous Bulky Water that would likely use Scald.
icon376_1 icon647 icon380
Why not completing the FSD core? Calm Mind Clefable is the Fairy type of choice, giving myself a sweeper too! Its also a great Status Absorber to take Toxic and WoW without suffering any drawback. If you ever played Gen 6, you know how fearsome is Clefable.
icon376_1 icon647 icon380 icon036
I am starting to stack weknesses to Ghost and Dark, so I better get a Dark type. I’m looking at my options and I found Tyranitar. More specifically, the paradoxal Choice Scarf Tyranitar seems really nice. However, since I already have a Choice Scarf with me, I prefer not to go Double Scarf and I then go for a standart support set to setup Stealth Rock.
icon376_1 icon647 icon380 icon036 icon248_2
As for the last, I need a fairy resist, and a good one. Since i must not stack ground weakness either, I chosse specially defensive Skarmory.
icon376_1 icon647 icon380 icon036 icon248_2 icon227

Team

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
-Meteor Mash
-Zen Headbutt
-Earthquake
-Thunder Punch

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
-Scald
-Hydro Pump
-Secret Sword
-Icy Wind

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Draco Meteor
-Psyshock
-Healing Wish
-Defog

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
-Calm Mind
-Moonblast
-Soft-Boiled
-Thunder Wave

Tyranitar @ Tyranitar Armor
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed
-Stealth Rock
-Stone Edge
-Pursuit
-Fire Blast

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
-Iron Head
-Spikes
-Roost
-Whirlwind

Weather based
I know you really want to see it, so I’m bringing out Mega Delta Typhlosion.
icon781_2
And since all of you want a New Moon team because (#DaRkIsSoDaRk). And because there is no New Moon elsewhere.
icon781_2 icon442
Well, still going with the top tiers! Keldeo can cover ground and fire types for D.Typhlosion and Spiritomb can Pursuit trap Latios and other psychic. It also like its Hydro Pump being switched for boosted Surf, sicne Surf has more PP and better accuracy.
icon781_2 icon442 icon647
Next, I want something that can handle grass types. More specifically, Serperior. I am picking Delta Volcarona for its special bulk, Hidden Power [Ground] immunity and Poison typing. It maybe isn’t a direct swithc-in to fairy, but New Moon helps that. I’ll be waiting for the set.
icon781_2 icon442 icon647 icon914_1

I don’t have much knowledge with new moon, so I don’t know what is good and what isn’t. Looking at the team, I would need a Pivot. Here, I choose Choice Scarf Landorus-T as it give me an Electric Immunity and a Stealth Rock setter. I’ll see after if I choose the defensive or Choice Scarf variant. #LandoSoGood.

icon781_2 icon442 icon647 icon914_1 icon645_1

Last but not least! As I’m using a weather team, its a sins not to use a Weather Sweeper. In my case, a New Moon sweeper. Because my team need a Physical attacker, I chooses Delta Electivire. But then, suddenly, I sees that I don’t have a reliable Keldeo Switch-In. Oof. I got few options left: Toxicroak, Latios, Delta Tentacruel and Delta Tangrowth. Because I don’t want a third Fairy weakness, I am leaving Delta Tangrowth behind. I’m not taking Latios either for. So, it leave me with Delta Tentacruel and Toxicroak. in the end, I choose Delta Tentacruel.

icon781_2 icon442 icon647 icon914_1 icon645_1 icon808

Finally, the sets. I need D.Volcaronna to use Defog. Second, I go for Scarf Keldeo and Defensive Landorus-T since my core is squishier on the physical side. Delta Tentacruel is played as Spikes setter instead of Toxic Spikes because of a potential struggling toward opposing Poison.

Team

Delta Typhlosion @ D.Typhlosionite
Ability: Motor Drive / Lighting Rod
Timid Nature
-Thunderbolt
-Flash Canon
-Energy Ball
-Volt Switch

Spiritomb @ Dark Rock
Ability: Noctem
EVs: 248 Hp / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
-Knock Off
-Pursuit
-Rest / Pain Split
-Sleep Talk / Shadow Sneak / Sucker Punch / Will-O-Wisp

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
-Scald
-Surf
-Secret Sword
-Icy Wind / Hidden Power [Electric]

Delta Volcaronna @ D.Volcaronna Armor
Timid Nature
-Sludge Wave
-Dark Pulse
-Fire Blast
-Defog

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock
-U-turn
-Stone Edge

Delta Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 Hp / 60 Def / 192 SpD
Bold Nature
-Giga Drain
-Sleep Powder
-Spikes
-Protect

Balanced

So, I want to play something strong, something AGRESSIVE! I want a Delta Hydreigon. Spamming Hyper Voice seems nice! I choose to give it Choice Specs so I win my duel against Mega Milotic, given I don’t switch into Scald. With Specs, I do:
252 SpA Choice Specs Intoxicate Delta Hydreigon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 192 SpD Mega Milotic: 398-470 (84.6 - 100%) – 6.3% chance to OHKO
Not bad, huh?
icon912f
I then need something against water types, Mega Feraligatr, Keldeo and fast psychic types. Why not use my own Mega Milotic? Milotic like D.Hydreigon’s ability to switch into electric types and ability to destroy grass types.
icon912f icon350_1
I would like something to complete my core with Mega Milotic.
Come on! Is there any better option that Ferrothorn? They cover each other weakness perfectly and cover a very wide variety of the metagame.
icon912f icon350_1 icon598
Right now, I got a very solid core and I love it. I am protected against Toxic Spikes, Stealth Rock, somewhat against Molten Rocks and so on. Now, even then, I want to get rid of those hazards. How about something offensive? A revenge killer that have defog. I choose Delta Blaziken. So, that allow me to use Scald on Mega Milotic. That team looks VERY great so far.
icon912f icon350_1 icon598 icon787
I would like a Fire type to complete my FWG core. So far, I hesitate between Heatran and Delta Registeel. Because my core is already vulnerable to corrode, I prefer Delta Registeel.
icon912f icon350_1 icon598 icon787 icon922
Because my Mega Milotic does not carry Moonblast and I use Molten Rock as opposed to Stealth Rock, I want a Pokémon that can beat dragons. However, something more hurging is here. I need a Ghost switch-in. When I don’t know, I ask for fellow team builder. So far, I consider Delta Ambipom, Delta Meloetta and regular Hydreigon. My fellow builder Ezlaturbo proposed me Delta Volcarona. It was a good choice, as it could run Spacial Rend and switch into most Shadow Ball in the game.
icon912f icon350_1 icon598 icon787 icon922 icon914_1

Team Export

Delta Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Intoxicate
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
-Hyper Voice
-Earth power
-Flamethrower
-U-Turn

Milotic @ Milotite
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 Hp / 60 Def / 192 SpD
Bold Nature
-Scald
-Recover
-Toxic
-Dragon Tail

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Relaxed Nature
-Spikes
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip

Delta Blaziken @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wing
Adamant Nature
-Brave Bird
-Zen Headbutt
-Earthquake
-Drain Punch

Delta Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Foundry
EVs: 252 Hp / 4 Def / 252 SpD
(-SpA + SpD) Nature
-Recover
-Stealth Rock
-Rock Tomb
-Knock Off

Delta Volcarona @ D.Volcarona Armour
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Spacial Rend
-Dark Pulse
-Corrode
-Defog

General advices

• Have a clear idea of what you want to play.
  • Choose 1 or 2 Pokémon and build around.
  • Keep an eye on the most used Pokémon and see which one are problematic.
  • Don’t be afraid to make mistakes, no team is perfect.
  • Don’t be shy either, ask for help when you feel cornered. Sometimes, it is better to take a break and look back at the team later. You sometimes see flaws you haven’t seen after a nap.
  • Try to avoid creating your own set, if you do, verify exactly what it can do in your team and how it reacts to the metagame.
  • Carry Stealth Rock and Hazard removal. These are crucial part of single battles and prevent to switch back and forth unpunished.

In case, here is an Insurgence damage calculator. Unlike the battle simulator, this one is updated.

If you have opinions about what to change in certans teams, feel free to tell me.

I know this one took WAY TO MUCH time to come out. I have no excuses this time. I’m taking a break if it wasn’t obvious. Next is EVs and IVs, but it may take a long time to come out, especially since Delta Serperior’s analysis will comes first.

8 Likes

Wow. You are a competitive god. Is there anything you can’t do?

1 Like

Be a literal god.

2 Likes

You don’t have to go out of your way to do that. Call me hostile, but you really don’t. I was just giving him a compliment.

2 Likes

I’ve been struggling a lot with team building myself, and this guide looks really helpful

10/10

2 Likes

You’re starting to get defensive. I literally answered your question.

1 Like

Yeah, but you did it in a rude and unnecessary way.

1 Like

A-KNEE-WAYZ,

Great competitive guide you have there. Amazing, really. I love how you went through every single pokemon and gave reasoning. It is a work of art.

1 Like

You know what? I’m just a intermediate level. I still have difficulty with anticipation (nothing that can’t be patched my practice) and I have a lot of difficulty on newer metagame. I have a metic :poop:load of difficulty when entering a new metagame and even then, I tends to rely on others analysis to make my own idea of a Pokémon’s viability. All of my knowledge is purely theoretical and I am much weaker on the practice, those who fought me can tell.

As I say,

1 Like

And you’ve insulted me quite a few times.

1 Like

I still think D. Volc would have been a good fit, other than losing to Dragons, which can be patched with Spacial Rend, though niche, it is powerful.

1 Like

You mean for the balanced team?

Yeah.

Its actually a bit outdated, AH is 150 bp since it was earlier a rip off syncronise. To get an accurate AH, change its bp to 90 manually and for delta ambipom, give it hustle which has a similar effect im pretty sure

1 Like

Another way to do it using D. Ambipom- just keep Technician, use Tackle and alter its power to 45, then doubling the estimated damage shown (since AH deals SE damage). That should work

1 Like

That’s works too ig

Wait is there a simulator for insurgence battles? Or do I have to build these teams myself

I think there is but you can build your own teams if you want

Keep in mind the battle simulator is outdated. It works with 1.1.8 while we are in 1.2.7 if I remember correct

1 Like