What is Genedyr?

Judging by the little information from the other 3’s dex entries, my guess is that Ascenadan is some sort of serpent dragon, Thanarus is probably based off of the Grim Reaper, as for Genedyr, I have no frickin clue

1 Like

Genedyr appears like it would be a representation of reincarnation, its Pokémon type being “Samara” and its description supports this.

The anime Naruto borrowed this concept for their Sage of Six Paths character and plot line.

yay… someone made a pokemon based on my home country in my favourite game

Yeah I figured it out. It’s based on Norse myth. Fendrawgr was based on Fenrir (yes it is Fenrir, not Fenris like I thought), Ascenadan is based on Jormungand, AKA the World Serpent, and Thanarus is based on Hel (as in the Norse equivalent of Hades/Pluto, not the place, and also different from Hela in Thor: Ragnarok). Genedyr is still a mystery to me though; I don’t know of any gods/beings of reincarnation in Norse myth, much less any at all based around grass. Maybe Frey or Freya? They were the twin gods of fertility, each one representing one of the two meanings of that word (Freya was basically Aphrodite and Frey was a male Persephone in terms of symbols).

Yeah, I know that was a lot. Sorry.

Hey! Someone else actually watched Naruto and knows who Hagoromo is!

Lmao my uncle had 2 cats called Frey and Freya. Rip Frey though

i love norse and greek mythology

i read them for fun… they are probably one of the best mythologies in story value

sad…

I actually think Thanarus is supposed to be based off the Grim Reaper, since it collects the souls of the dead, it’s signature move is called “Karma Reap”, and it can learn a lot of slashing and cutting moves from leveling (Slash, X-Scissor, Swords Dance and Shadow Claw) implying that it has some form of claws or perhaps a scythe. I actually think Fendraugr is the only one based off of Norse mythology, as it seems to not actually have any relations with the other 3 in it’s Pokedex entry, so the other 3 are probably not based off of Norse Mythology
Also, I just remembered that Genedyr can learn both Aqua Tail and Iron Tail from leveling, despite being a Grass/Fairy type, meaning that, whatever Genedyr is, it’s probably some sort of animal with a tail
I know that doesn’t really narrow it down, but it’s an important thing to take note of

For starters, please don’t necro. If no one has replied to a post for more than a week, it is considered dead, and should not be posted on. Please refrain from commenting on such posts, since anyone who commented gets a notification.

As for your Grim Reaper theory, Hel is literally a female, Norse Grim Reaper. She’s the Goddess of Death, both the ruler of the Underworld and the one who takes souls in the first place. In other words, it’s basically like saying that a human isn’t an ape, but it’s a primate. Both are true, and one is more of a subcategory of the other.

Sorry if that came off rude at all. That wasn’t my intention, but I’m too tired to try rewording it.