Pokemon Insurgence on Mac OS Catalina and Big Sur!

Alright this is very exciting as wineskin has released a new version to run 32 bit window applications on Mac! So I’m going to give u the run down so u 2 can play Pokemon Insurgence on Mac once again. So first u r going to need the Insurgence Core and Wineskin, the core can be downloaded by just getting the full windows version of the game and to get wineskin just run the following lines in terminal one at a time (some of these take awhile to run so make sure u always see the $ or % before u run the next line!):

/bin/bash -c “$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)”
brew tap gcenx/wine
brew install --no-quarantine unofficial-wineskin

(if these steps didnt work for u try the manual method here GitHub - Gcenx/WineskinServer: Wineskin Unofficial Update)
after all of these have been completed u should now have Wineskin Winery in your applications folder, open it. From here select update under wrapper version and wait for it to update, then click the + button and install the latest engine version. After all this is complete click “Create New Blank Wrapper”. It doesn’t matter what you name it but if you want to keep it identical to mine just name it “Pokemon Insurgence” just like that. after clicking okay a lot of things will run, make sure if it asks for any additional downloads or things to happen to LET THEM HAPPEN! Once it is done it will ask if u want to open finder location select yes or open in finder whichever it says. Once you see your application in the new finder window right click/two finger click/control click the application and select “Show Package Contents”. From there run Wineskin in the new window that pops open. If u haven’t already un-zip the core file u got from the windows ddownload of the game so a folder is located somewhere. From the Wineskin application select “Move a Folder Inside” and locate the game core folder that u unzipped. Select Open and let the process load, if it asks to locate exe it should auto fill out otherwise locate the exe file in the core folder. From here u should be able to close everything and run it beautifully, if something doesn’t work don’t worry we have troubleshooting processes.

• Some people report having to disable there SIP to make Wineskin work, if that is the case just follow this video tutorial: Using WineSkin on Mac OS Catalina to play 32-bit games (Steam) - YouTube
  • Mess around with the Wineskin Screen Options and Advanced Settings, me and the mods will be happy to help you in the replies of this post so don’t be scared to post!

I’m so happy I can lay my eggloke again so please Apple don’t take this away from me ever again! Happy gaming and Insurgence Forever!

UPDATE: There may be an audio lag glitch issue and I’m making files to fix this, if you are having this issue and don’t want to wait for my fix just turn all the mp3 files in the audio folder (most notably the rumble noise from the darkrai ritual and mew’s cry) into wav files using something like audacity!

1 Like

Oh and also guys make sure you set the icon to this if you want to bring back the memories of the old mac application: Desktop Icon

Alternatively just run:

curl -S "https://gitlab.com/levi506/installing-insurgnece/raw/master/assets/macOS/install-beta.sh" | bash

It has incorporated gcenx/wine since January.

We originally used wineskin for distribution, but the problem was that wineskin is such a confusing tool to bug fix and many issues are born if you don’t understand very well what you are doing. It is probably better off if you just use the gcenx/wine on the base exe overall

I finished the process, but I can’t relocate the original Folder that the Wineskin Application for the Pokemon Insurgence file was in. Where do I go to run the game?

if u r talking about the wrapper that was created, you were supposed to drag that to an accessible place, if u didnt it should be located at Macintosh HD/Users/[User]/Applications/Wineskin/[Wrapper Name].app if u r talking ab out the executable file, instead just launch the wrapper that u made with winery.

How do you find the Wrapper in Wineskin?

the wrapper should be located at Macintosh HD/Users/[User]/Applications/Wineskin/[Wrapper Name].app but if it isn’t u can just make a new one using winery

Hi! I just ran this through terminal and now it says
##### OVERALL INSTALLATION STEP 2 #####

Updating Homebrew

error: Not a valid ref: refs/remotes/origin/master

fatal: ambiguous argument ‘refs/remotes/origin/master’: unknown revision or path not in the working tree.

Use ‘–’ to separate paths from revisions, like this:

‘git […] – […]’

What can I do now :frowning:

Thank you so much for this. After an entire day of searching online and trying everything, I finally found a way to install Pokemon Insurgence. The only ‘issue’ I’m having, is that it takes quite long to load each battle, each new area, after a battle, etc… we’re talking about 10-20 seconds. It’s pretty much unplayable because of that. I’m using a new MacBook Pro M1Pro which shouldn’t really be an issue I guess. My CPU Usage is at 100% the entire time just for this game as well. Are there any settings I can change to improve gameplay?

Not sure if this is the right place, but I’m on Mac OS Monterey and having the same exact issue as the poster above. I’d appreciate any guidance

its bugged. The script only partially runs. go to the website https://gitlab.com/levi506/installing-insurgnece/raw/master/assets/macOS/install-beta.sh and run each line individually (or in a clump if you know what you are doing).

So I believe your problem is going to be a bad cpu because it is after all a mac book. You can mess around with the cpu and gpu settings and see if you can get anything to make it run better but overall you are going to want to be trying things to help lower the strain on your computer’s processing power because the computer’s conditions are sub-optimal. Another thing is this is emulating an already old game maker product on a macbook so keep that in mind.

I’m having an issue where I can barely use the arrow keys. If I press on them for a while or hold them down, then they might work, but it is more of a gamble than anything else. I did manage to to get into the controls section on the main menu using the W and Q scroll binds that work and the Enter bind that works, but none of the input binds that I change actually do anything. The previous keys are still bound. Is there a known solution to this problem?

What about for macbook Air