" Aww~ Come on sweet, you never stood a chance.~ "
Hi guys, girls, Gyarados pacific counterpart and everything in-between!
What? You never noticed? They both:
- Share the water type.
- Evolve from meaningless sushi filler.
- Are snake-like dragons.
- Have different form between male and females.
- Have the same stats, but at different places.
So, you saw I realized how BROKEN this thing is and you want to know why?
Be warned, since there is no competitive usage stats avaliable, I do not have any reliable ways to accurately predict the metagame. This analysis is theoretical and does not entirely reflect a Pokémon’s viability.
Typing, Stats, Abilities & Movepool
Ability: Prism Guard (Marvel Scale/Competitive/Cute Charm
Atk: 70 (60)
Def: 109 (79)
SpA: 130 (100)
SpD: 155 (125)
Monstrous Bulk and great special attack makes this Pokémon both a fantastic wall while also being able to strike back. Water and Fairy typing allow it to be the best check to the Three Mega Water Dancer and to generally a lot of dangerous Water, Fighting and Dark types. Its ability Prism Guard works like a Rocky Helmet for non-contact moves, and BOY there is more non-contact moves than regular moves. Coupled with a 95/155 special bulk, it can take a LOT of attack and retaliate real hard.
As mentioned, Water/Fairy is a wonderfull typing. Having a whopping 6 resistances and one immunity for only 3 weakness, no wonder Tapu Fini was popular in USUM! Plus, all those resistances are common in Ins. OU, featuring Fighting, Fire, Bug (U-Turn), Water, Ice, Dragon and Dark. In exchange, you have Electric, Grass and Poison. Outside of Sun team, grass isn’t that much used, Electric is often special so it can most of the time take a hit or two and Poison is mostly used because of of Fairy types. And guess who resists all of this? Ferrothorn. More on that to the teammates.
Miloctic also have everything it wants on the support side! Scald and Moonblast does the stabs (Scald being the primary), Toxic for the damages and avoid passivity, Thunder Wave for slower teams, Recover as a reliable recovery, Refresh to heal Toxic in a pinch, Coil for defensive setup, Dragon Tail to Phaze even under taunt, Haze to reset stats boosts and Hypnosis to dish out sleeps.
Milotic @ Milotite
EVs: 252 Hp / 60 Def / 192 SpD
-Scald / Moonblast
-Haze / Dragon Tail
Scald is the more defensive STAB, dishing out burns and making it almost unkillable. Moonblast, however, allows to threaten Keldeo and various other Dark and Dragon types. Toxic is the main damaging option, mostly to not making it too passive. Haze shut down boosts from enemies behind substitutes while Dragon Tail can be used to phase non-fairy types, rack up hazards damages and still act under taunt.
This time, I decided to do specific calculations for tis EV spread. With 60 Def EV, Mega Milotic always get 3HKO by Mega Metagross’s Meteor Mash so it can check it. At least, if lacking Thunder Punch. The rest of EV are put into SpD to avoid the 2HKO from Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice. Although Milotic should be afraid of Taunt.
Milotic @ Milotite
EVs: 252 Hp / 4 Def / 252 SpA
This set is used to mainly use its great special attack while also having a soft backbone against water types and New Moon team. However, it loose A LOT of defensive utility and I do not recommend it. For an offensive water type that does a better job and does not take a Mega Slot, use Keldeo or Azumarill.
- Ferrothorn is more than a wonderfull teammate, it is its best partner possible. Ferrothorn set up hazards that Milotic can abuse via Dragon Tail, they both resists each other weaknesses and cover a very wide variety of threats. Probably the best OU defensive core you can imagine.
- Other Grass types pair well will Milotic as they check Electric and ground. Celebi and Breloom are also notable partner.
- Fire types resists grass and like Milotoc checking Ground, Rock and Water for them. Heatran, Delta Registeel and Delta Greninja are good ones.
- Garchomp checks a lot of Mega Milotic checks like Mega Gardevoir, Offensive Volcarona and the Electric types lacking HP Ice. Scarfchomp also revenge kill Mega Metagross and Mega Medichamp who used Thunder Punch.
Checks and Counters
Mega Shiftree and Mega Cacturne are amoung the few strong offensives grass types users that hit on the physical side. They don’t, however, like receiving a burn or a moon blast in the face. Be careful:
– 252+ Atk Shiftry Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 60+ Def Mega Milotic: 288-342 (73 - 86.8%) – guaranteed 2HKO
– 252 Atk Cacturne Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 60+ Def Mega Milotic: 288-342 (73 - 86.8%) – guaranteed 2HKO
- Offensive Delta Volcarona does not take much from Mega Miloctic attacks and 2HKO with Sludge Wave.
- Mega Gardevoir can destroy most defensive Pokémon, including Mega Milotic. With Taunt, Gardevoir can block Recover and proceed of yelling until something fain. Will-O-Wisp can also chip damage Milotic as it does not have a passive recovery. Lastly, if Gardevoir managed to setup a Calm Mind, then Mega Milotic gets 2HKO easy. Plus, it have on of the best shiny. (Man, I love this Pokémon )
- Physical Electric moves like Thunder Punch from Mega Metagross and Mega Medichamp allow them to bypass Miloctic by being 2HKO.
- Electric types, even if special attacker, still have a decent chance to 2HKO. Nasty Plot Thundurus or Mega Manectric. Same goes for Wild Charge from Mega Delta Gallade.
- Mega Meganium on stall teams can bounce back Toxic and can use Aromatherapy on teammates. Even setup Leech Seed.
- Choice Scarf Delta Metagross… What else do I have to say? Rock Head Wood Hammer? It is also one of the very few who can OHKO it if not burned, the other one being…
Toxicroak. With Gunk Shot, it has 37,5% chance to OHKO and cannot be burned by Scald. It looses to Moonblast.
– 252 Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 60+ Def Mega Milotic: 354-421 (89.8 - 106.8%) – 37.5% chance to OHKO
This Pokémon is just disgusting. It can wall nearly ANYTHING! With the classic defensive set, it still has a 25% chance to survive a boosted Thunder by freaking MEGA DELTA TYPHLOSION!
252 SpA Supercell Mega Delta Typhlosion Thunder vs. 252 HP / 192 SpD Mega Milotic in Rain: 378-446 (95.9 - 113.1%) – 75% chance to OHKO
Nearly every time I got to the damage calculator and tried to look at the counter list, I tried something and saw Guaranteed 3HKO or low chance to 2HKO. Mega Milotic is by far the best Bulky Water type in the game and it solidly anchor itself in OU. Probably even too much…
Sorry for the long delay, I had a lot of things to do lately and again new exams on the way. I’ll be back with the team building lesson I promise. And ho boy I’ll enjoy doing this one!
- Mega Loppuny
- Mega Gardevoir
- Mega Delta Venusaur