Mega Feraligatr (Analyzed ep.6)

“We can dance if we want to. We can leave your friends behind. 'Cause your friends don’t dance and if they don’t dance, well they are no friends of mine.”
-The Safety Dance, Man Without Hats (remastered by Mega Feraligatr & the Three Mega Water Dancers)

Hi guys, girls, disco signing aligator and everything in-between! Winning with 1% vote from Delta Typhlosion (honestly, its a tie) we got Mega Feraligatr. I remember it being my first Pokémon when trying out Gen 4 (HGSS). You may wonder what am I saying about the Three Mega Water Dancers, or TMWD for short. Its simple, I consider the Three Mega Water Dancers being three mega water type dragon dance users. They are not equally strong as one of them is weaker than the two others, but they mostly does the same thing. Those Pokémon are Mega Gyarados, Mega Crawdaunt and Mega Feraligatr. I like those Pokémon, probably because I love Dragon Dance on itself, and I think about them first when I need a physical sweeper Mega Evolution. I probably like Water types a bit too much… In any case, I will be comparing those three a lot as they share the same niche but suits on different archetypes.
Be warned, since there is no competitive usage stats avaliable, I do not have any reliable ways to accurately predict the metagame. This analysis is theoretical and does not entirely reflect a Pokémon’s viability.

Typing, Stats, Abilities & Movepool

Starting by now, I’ll be putting the pre-mega stats too. I’ll go edit the old episodes too since I wonder why didn’t I do that before)

Water
Ability: Tough Claws (Torrent/Sheer Force(DW) before Mega)
Hp: 85 (85)
Atk: 140 (105)
Def: 100 (100)
SpA: 89 (79)
SpD: 110 (83)
Spe: 110 (78)

From the TMWD, he has the lowest Attack stats but ironically not the lowest damage output. He is also the fastest, having 110 speed is really good and at +1, outspeed most popular Choice Scarf users in Landorus-T, Keldeo and Delta Darmanitan. Don’t underestimate his bulk too! 85/100/100 is good, especially with few weaknesses Water offers. This speed is a HUGE advantage over regular Feralitatr, who tecnically haves a niche for its superior power, but otherwise can have trouble due to its low speed leaving him somewhat easy to revenge kill. He is what I could call a perfect Pokémon stats-wise as he have exactly what he wants.

Water type is, in my opinion, the trird best type in the game (behind Steel and Ground). I know, very controversial opinion but hey, look at how everywhere is Earthquake. It isn’t a Ground type analysis so let’s go on with Feraligatr. He is the only TMWD who don’t have Dark type as a secondairy typing, so he cannot abuse New Moon like them. However, he then doesn’t have Fairy and Fighting weakness. Thus, Scarf Keldeo is less effective as a counter.

Tough Claw is amazing on him. Most of his moves are contact moves anyway, so having a free recoiless Life Orb on most of its movepool is always good. Though Sheer Force boosted attack in conjonction with a reall Life Orb from its base form does more damages.

Talking about contact moves, Waterfall, Ice Punch, Crunch and Superpower are great attack in their own right and have a good matchup against most of what he wants. Couple with these is Dragon Dance. Unlike his fellow Mega Water Dancer Crawdaunt, he isn’t limited by its speed while using Swords Dance. True, an Aqua Jet from Mega Crawdaunt does more damage, but don’t forget Feraligatr 110 speed and good bulk! He does not have to use Aqua Jet against most offensive treats, making him more versatile and, in my opinion, a better Swords Dancer.

Sets Suggestions

Dragon Dance

Feraligatr @ Feraligatite / Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Ice Punch
-Superpower/Crunch

Dragon Dance turns Feraligatr into a monstrous sweeper. You thought that Mega Charizard X was dengerous? Then how about one who does not have a Steal Rock weakness, 10 speed faster and drawbackless stabs? Though, to be fair, Charizard is probably stronger in terms of damage. Superpower breaks through Ferrothorn while Crunch hits prominent Psychic types like Unnaware Delta Ludicolo (who makes the matchup against Stall very hard otherwise) harder. Ice Punch gets rid of Grass and Dragon Types while also slapping Delta Blaziken and Tornadus-T.

Swords Dance

Feraligatr @ Feraligatite
Jolly/Adamant Nature
-Swords Dance
-Waterfall
-Ice Punch / Crunch / Superpower
-Aqua Jet / Crunch / Superpower

If you need a Wallbreaker instead of a Sweeper, then Swords Dance is your choice. This set is stronger against bulkyer, slower defensive teams and still have good options against offense. 4 Moveslot syndrom hits harder than ever this time around. Since Aqua Jet become important to outspeed Mega Manectric or Choice Scarf users.

Double Dance

Feraligatr @ Feraligatite
Adamant/Jolly Nature
-Swords Dance
-Agility
-Waterfall
-Ice Punch / Superpower / Crunch

Settup accordingly to the matchup! Agility for offense and Swords Dance for Stall. Honestly, I don’t know what do think of this set. I don’t really like Double Dance in general because they often take a lot of time to setup.

Other Options

All Out Attacking set are viable, but misses out the explosive Power the setup variand have. Brick Break is usable instead of Superpower, but the power drop is very noticable.

Good Teammates

• Ferrothorn is a good hazard setter alongside Feraligatr and is common on the Spikes Balance and Bulky Offense this Mega Water Dance is often on.
  • Heatran is a great hazards setter that is also able to remove problematic grass types.
  • Volcarona pair exceptionnelle well with Feraligatr as they both knock down each other’s check (except for Mega Miloctic).
  • Electric types like Thundurus and Zapdos are great at removing Water types. Furthermore, Thundurus provides Para-Prankster and Priority Livewire for rain. Zapros provides Defog support, although it may be hard to switch on them.
  • Bisharp appreciate Feraligatr being able to switch on fire and can cover New Moon teams while Feraligart cover Rain. They also for a excellent wall breaking/sweeping core, kinda how Mega Gallade and Birsharp did in ORAS.
  • Wallbreakers can punch holes in the opposing team and let the Dragon Dance variant sweep, while sweepers like the Swords Dance wallbreaking potential.

Checks and Counters

• Coverage dependant Pokémon are often what brings him down. Unaware Delta Ludicolo when lacking Crunch, Ferrothorn when lacking Superpower and the Latis twins when dropping Ice Punch.
  • Azumarill does resits everything he can trow out at them, but again, he does not have any reliable recovery and may fall from repetitive hits from Swods Dance variant.
  • Bulky Water Types often prove themselve problematics as Feraligatr’s main moves, Aqua Jet, Waterfall and Ice Punch are all weak against them. Suicune,
  • Mega Milotic is the best counter around. Resisting all Feraligatr’s attack like Azumarill, having reliable recovery and cripple with Toxic, T-Wave or Scarld Burns.

Overall

Honestly, pretty good! I like him very much as he fits well on my playstyle. What about it?

• Keldeo
  • Mega Delta Typhlosion
  • Mega Crawdaunt
  • Latios
  • Delta Arcanine
  • Other
0 voters
7 Likes

Very good analysis. BUT, I would still rather just run Life Orb and Sheer Force lmao @PeterHolmes74

It can break Azu if you don’t mind running EQ, which can help against the likes of Specs Heliolisk(not a huge OU threat, but it should be considering how fast and powerful it is.) It really only has EQ and Rock Slide/Tomb for coverage tho. It can just run Crunch/Shadow Claw(Up to personal preference) to take out both the Lati Twins and D. Colo, as it is super effective too, and Crunch has a higher BP.

One of the best teammates(opinion of course) to take out M. Milotic and Azu is D. Snorlax, being a special tank for M. Milotic, and being able to live a Play Rough from Bulky Azu (BD shouldn’t be a problem, considering M Feraligtr outspeeds and can 1-2 shot) and KOing with that Seed Bomb(Hopefully boosted by Bulk Up or Belly Drum).

Scarf Ruingross can deal massive damage to most of M. Feraligtr’s threats, hitting Azu, D. Colo and M. Milotic with a recoil free Wood Hammer, and the Lati Twins with a RIDICULOUS Head Smash(if it doesn’t miss).

1 Like

Sorry if it is a poor episode, I was only half concentrated as someone was calling me at the time.

3 Likes

That’s fine it wasn’t as noticeable as when I’m having a lapse in concentration.

noice analysis as usual @PeterHolmes74

2 Likes

also everyone pls vote for mega crawdaunt

hmm if i vote for crawdaunt it wins but if i vote for delta typhlosion IT wins
@GiaPeNiw

you already know what im voting

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

why you cursing me? what’d i do lol

i only stated the obvious, didnt say what i voted for lol (not that im telling you)

I know what u voted :rage::rage::rage:

2 Likes

ok._

I would disagree. I only putted one teammate, I will fix that ASAP

i suggest a partener such as delta typhlosion. Because its forms a great offensive core along with mega feraligatr, where feraligatr takes care of anoying ground types such as lando t and garchomp and fire types like heatran while typhlosion can take care of bulky water types like milotic, azumaril and suicune (all of which you already mentioned). Since this core is a bit grass weak add in heatran to wall ferro
some relavent calc:
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 342-404 (88.6 - 104.6%) – 31.3% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-Therian: 352-416 (92.1 - 108.9%) – 50% chance to OHKO

+1 252 SpA Delta Typhlosion Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Milotic: 204-242 (51.7 - 61.4%) – guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (assuming it switches in on a twave)

252 SpA Delta Typhlosion Thunderbolt vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 314-372 (81.7 - 96.8%) – 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
So,wdyt @PeterHolmes74 ?

2 Likes

although you should be wary of a ohko from banded superpower from azumaril to delta typhlosion

2 Likes

Actually now that I think bout it, the calcs are pretty unnecessary

3 Likes

I mean, is regular D.Typhlosion is viable where D.Volcarona, Scarf Landorus-T, D.Arcanine, Keldeo, Mega Crawdaunt and Mega Medichamp in the first place? Its not that they are counter, but keep in mind the power level is REALLY HIGH and as such, I don’t think he is that viable without mega. He also has verse competition in Raikou, Thundurus and Mega Manectric.

hmm you’re right, now that is think bout it