Help me choose a starter?

Heya. This seems like a friendly forum. Maybe you can give me your opinions on this?

So technically I’ve played Pokemon Insurgence before, years ago. I didn’t beat the game, but I went with Delta Charmander last time and got decently far. I enjoyed the experience, and D.Charmander seemed pretty decent… really strong in some areas, while really weak in others, which was fine. I’ve reinstalled the game and plan to start fresh, and I’m considering going with a different starter.

• D.Bulbasaur
    I’ve heard that the consensus overall is D.Bulbasaur is the best, making the game far easier both early game and later, and in mega form can cheese steamroll with hubris. TBH that doesn’t sound very fun to me, but maybe that was an oversimplification and/or you can change my mind?

• D.Charmander
    D. Charmander I have experience with, although I haven’t gotten it to mega before. I’ve heard it’s an all rounder that can be fairly powerful later game. Plus cool looking. I remember not having a lot of utility with D. Charmander however, and I mostly used it to 1 shot common fights with slower pokemon, or tank fights that involve physical damage. Some boss fights were pretty difficult, and in those, D. Charm could really only contribute 1 or 2 good hits before having to swap out.

• D.Squirtle
    I’ve heard this starter has the toughest time, getting a lot of bad matchups throughout the game, and getting completely wrecked anytime a fairy shows up. I’m not trying to min/max or anything, so having weaknesses is fine. But it kinda sounds like going with D.Squirtle might have a lot of drawbacks?

• Evee
    I know pretty much nothing about Evee. Wiki shows it has a ton of evolutions, many of which have specific triggers, and I read that if you make it to Helios without evolving Evee, you can get a Mega Evee that can temporarily transform into types based on the move it uses or something? Which actually sounds pretty cool, and would let me fill gaps in my team.

What do you peoples think I should do? Based on… I like utility and like to play defensively, but I’m definitely no pokemon expert. I also don’t like to cheese games if I can avoid it.

2 Likes

So uhh bulb is used as a bulky set up sweeper. Pretty good over all but isn’t very fun to use. Eevee is like a wild card. A lot of choices and nice of which are very predictable. Pretty balanced. D Squirtle seems like it has potential but falls behind but can be used well sometimes with vacuum wave for priority and regular mover like dark pulse and aura sphere. D Charmander is the most fun imo because I used it with fly dragon pulses, shadow ball and frost breath which was very useful at times. Probably 2nd or 3rd in utility. It’s just fun and has a lot of options.

3 Likes

aight.
imo eevee is rly fun to play with from what ive seen. havent used its mega personally but being able to change forms at will is p cool.

if you use any of the above moves, itll turn into the respective pkmn. this is amazing cuz it gets stab for all those moves. it also gets their abilities, which is neat
quote from the wiki:
If Eevee changes into Vaporeon, Eevee gains the ability Water Absorb.
If Eevee changes into Jolteon, Eevee gains the ability Volt Absorb.
If Eevee changes into Flareon, Eevee gains the ability Flash Fire.
If Eevee changes into Espeon, Eevee gains the ability Magic Bounce.
If Eevee changes into Umbreon, Eevee gains the ability Synchronize.
If Eevee changes into Leafeon, Eevee gains the ability Chlorophyll.
If Eevee changes into Glaceon, Eevee gains the ability Snow Cloak.
If Eevee changes into Sylveon, Eevee gains the ability Cute Charm

most of these are meh cuz you cant really abuse it but espeon’s magic bounce could be really powerful, especially to bounce back toxic or twave (not Stealth rocks cuz in game no npc uses it). also its stats change based on its form, that means you can use jolteons speed, espeons ability, umbreons great spdef and so on all in one mon.also im p sure it stays in that form until you choose a different move “mega eevee move”(the ones in the pic). that also ALSO means that it can, theoretically, transform into, smth like vaporeon or sylveon/umbreon and use wish, then giving it to other teamates.(this wish strat is not very useful in game when hyper potions exist but hey incase you wanna limit yourself, there ya go). the mega eevee moves arent too shabby either! hyper voice and giga impact are pretty useless cuz youll probably never be in mega eevee’s base form but every other move definiately has its merits.

sorry for this long reply, couldn’t help it

2 Likes

I would also suggest Eevee (though I can’t talk. I chose Charmander) since I’m pretty sure it’s the only way to get your own Eevee without trading/breeding. You’re able to get the other three starters throughout the game (primarily postgame, but still) and Eevee is decent.

3 Likes

Eevee is in fs

1 Like

Quoting Selena Gomez from the Wizards of Waverly Place Theme Song:

Everything is not what it seems.

JK JK. (mostly anyways)

1 Like

i would choose eevee or bulb
their megas are pretty OP and makes story mode much easier
If going with eevee make adaptability is it’s ablity

Eevee can be found in Game Corner. However, if it’s not your starter, you will have to wait till postgame to get the mega stone.

2 Likes

Hmm, I see. I’m really leaning towards Eevee now. Ty for the replies and info.

2 Likes

Wait you can? Huh. Didn’t remember that. Then again, it’s been awhile.

Accurate. I think it’s getting better though.

Smart choice. Don’t make the same mistake I did.

2 Likes

btw shiny eevee in this game is dope af, just lyk incase you wanted to hunt it

2 Likes

White body black fur

2 Likes

Accurate. I think it’s getting better though.

Yeah, I agree. The last “event” happened on one of the discords and it was like a couple weeks ago.

2 Likes

[curiosity intensifies]

Quickly searching… I take it with enough resets, you have a chance of your starter being shiny? I might actually do this.

2 Likes

like 1/4000 or something like that

1 Like

Yikes… (considers attempting it)

2 Likes

but most people get it around 2000-3000 encs

1 Like

I mean, you could always wait to get a Masuda Ditto before the third gym to raise the odds.

before 2nd gym

Dont do masuda kids, its not good for you
srsly tho it took me nearly a F*CKING MONTH to get only 730 encs. now maybe im not doing it efficiently or smth but id say thats rly slow. it pretty much negates any time save. if you want increased odds, do friend safari. get your starter as eevee, evolve/ ditch it, then hunt in friend safari. it is in slot 3 so you’d need to wait until the 6 gym,yikes. so if you want it early just SR. i got my shiny d.charizard that way me just flexing my shiny d.zard lmao