“ Meet me on the other side, where the sun shine bright. “
Hi guys, girls, molten volcanic metal thing and everything in-between! Took me more time than I wanted because I lost my draft by accident. I’m… kinda pissed right now. I hate having to do again things I done more than the half. Especially when I don’t want to.
Be warned, since there is no competitive usage stats avaliable, I do not have any reliable ways to accurately predict the metagame. This analysis is theoretical and does not entirely reflect a Pokémon’s viability.
Typing, Stats, Ability & Movepool
Ability: Flame Body/Drought/Heavy Metal (DW)
What I first see on Delta Aggron is that it is the physically bulkiest sun setter in Insurgence ou. Compared to the other sun setter, it have the best typing. Fire/Steel is the typing with the most double resistances in the game; Steel, Grass, Bug, Fairy and Ice. Add a resistance to Psychic, Normal, Flying and Dragon plus a poison immunity and you got a very sturdy Pokémon. In exchange, it has three extremely common weaknesses, being Fighting, Ground and Water. Although its water weakness is pseudo-patched by Drought, that same harsh sunlight gives it an effective Fire weakness. Nonetheless, its burn and toxic immune. That can be useful against stall.
Coupled with its great typing comes a very good physical bulk. Its attack stat also make it somewhat capable of doing damages even if played defensively. But, its special side is extremely frail and weak, meaning strong unresisted attacks have a legit shot at OHKO. It, unfortunately, is a handicap to make full use of its defensive typing.
It is very much brighter on the movepool though. Spikes, Stealth Rock, Will-o-Wisp, Toxic, Knock Off, Roar and Dragon Tail make a potent supportive movepool while Iron Head, Gyro Ball, Superpower, Heat Crash, Heavy Slam, Stone Edge, Swords Dance, Rock Polish and Earthquake makes potent offensives moves.
Its main reason to be used is Drought, but Heavy Slam + Heat Crash and Heavy Metal makes surprisingly hight damages. Still, it needs Drought to crave itself a niche in OU.
Defensive Sun Setter
Delta Aggron @ Heat Rock / Air Balloon
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
-Heat Crash/Iron Head
-Roar / Dragon Tail
Minimum speed is used to possibly underspend Spiritomb when they are sent together and thus winning the weather war. However, even if your opponent does the same job, Delta Aggron is still slow anyway so it doesn’t hurt. It also increase the matchup against Trick Room Teams. Heat Crash is the preferred move to use the sun at its advantage, but Iron Head can be used to nail Mega Dancie on the switch.
Trick Room Wallbreaker
D.Aggron @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Ability: Heavy Metal
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Atk /4 Def
IVs: 0 Spe
Explosion is used when the trick rooms run off and you want a free switch on your setter. That is actually quite useful.
Delta Aggron does not have viable alternative. Its offensive sets are outclassed by other fire types in OU, molsty the Mega Charizards XY and Heatran. This is without including the brutal Mega Typhlosion.
- Sun abuser like Mega Houndoom and Chlorophyl Venusaur are mandatory teammates for any sun team.
- Grass types in genera cover Water and Ground. Tangrowth is a notable one. Grass/Poison doesn’t resist ground, but does resists Fighting. Amoonguss and Venusaur are maybe the only you will see in OU.
- Fire Types tends to appreciate Sun to fire off brutal STAB (no pun intended).
- Trick Room setter are mandatory with the offensive set. Mega Reunicluss, Cresselia and Jellicent are good ones. Jellicent in particular have a good synergy with D.Aggron.
Checks and counters
- Ground types and coverage have no trouble to OHKO Delta Aggron.
- Fighting types in Keldeo and Mega Loppuny are obviously dangerous.
- Water types. Duh?
- Speciall attackers like Armoured D.Volcaronna, Latios, Mega Delta Typhlosion and its regular counterpart beat D.Aggron but attacking on its squishy side.
- Heatran double resists Steel, is immune to fire, can OHKO Delta Aggron with almost anything and take advantage of D.Aggron to setup SR. And if D.Aggron carry Earthquake or Superpower, Heatran is faster and OHKO first. Heatran even run Air Balloon sometimes. This is also without mentionnant that it is immune to bun and Toxic itself so D.Aggron have a hard time to weaken it outside of PHazing on hazards.
I think Delta Aggron have a bad time in OU. it is just too frail to make good use of its typing. It got harsh competition from Mega Charizard Y and the gimmick Ninetail as a sun setter, but both of them aren’t Stealth Rock neutral and as opposed to Charizard Y, allow sun team to run other Mega Evolution. No teams want to be facing a Mega Typhlosion under Harsh Sunlight that can allow itself to run Solar Beam instead of Hidden Power.
I cannot say for sure if it will stay in OU, I see it drop to the lower tiers.
- Delta Serperior
- Delta Tangrowth
- Mega Diancie
- Mega Cryogonal