Competitive Trainer School ep.9: Breeding

Last episode.

Hi guys, girls and everything in-between! This is probably the biggest assets a cartridge competitive train must know as it is the key to get competitive Pokémon legally (A.K.A. not generated). Its something I don’t usually hear of since many cartridge players prefers to generate their Pokémon instead of hating them. Breeding is also what I’ve spent the most time on USUM. The fault goes to my garbage Ditto. Here, you will learn everything you need in order to breed genetically superior Pokémon. Open your books folks, school is on!

I am not a professional competitive trainer. I do not pretends to hold the holy sacred Truth and in to mean replace experts and experienced players. I simply think I have strong enough bases to share my knowledge with less experienced players.

Ok, I must break your childhood today. If your innocence is important to you, then close that window and go play Slime Rancher.

You have been warn.

No, there do not exist secrets egg gardens behind the day care. You see, just like 5000 IQ animals, when two Pokémon are let alone together, they… go… to Walmart to get some eggs…
crap I messed up again

Who am I kidding, we all had some sort of biology classes somehow if we didn’t felt asleep. Ditto is just a pile of :underage: content happy to breed with every single of your Pokémon all day long.
I suddenly feel bad for the Day Care agent. That mustn’t be very quiet there…

Oh, and when I’m talking about Day Care, I also mean the Nursery.

Recap on IVs

I think you remember. 31 maximum and cannot be changed other than IV Stones and Caps? Yeah that. The two biggest reasons to breed is to change “easily” IVs and Natures. The other reason is the Masuda method for shiny hunting. When an egg is generated, IVs and Natures are randomized for the baby inside.
Or is it?

Nope! There is a way to influence these with items! They are the two items I always look for when I start a Pokémon game: Everstone and Destiny Knot.

The breeding items

Everstone: Prevent the Pokémon holding it from evolving.
Destiny Knot: If the holder is infatuated, then the opponent is too.

Woah! What a bunch of useless items! But just like little Clark Kent, when they take of their glasses, they undercover amazing effects:

Everstone: The children have 100% chance to have the same nature as its parent holding the stone, 50% if both parents carry on my wayward son! an Everstone.
Destiny Knot: When holding in the Day Care, five of the parents combined IVs will be passed on tho its children.

If you don’t realize, having a good IV Ditto holding a Destiny Knot and a compatible Pokémon (Stoutland for example) that have a good nature and an Everstone, you can pseudo force the game to create competitive Pokémon at the Day Care.
And hatch a dog from an egg.

I’m fine… Fine

There also exists somewhat similar items to the ones listed above. Remember the power item? Power lents, power brace and the others? Well, when the holder is sent to the Day Care with one of those items, it will transfer its IV corresponding to the items’s stat to its children.

Here’s an example: an Alakasam holding a Power Lent will transfer its SpA IV to its child.

The most optimal way to get a good Pokémon would then to have a good Ditto (you can try without, but having a maxed IV Ditto saves a :poop:load of time) and repetitively breed your Pokémon. When you see notable upgrade in the IVs, change the parent so you have Ditto and the superior kid. When one of them have the correct nature, give them the overtone and continue the process until you have the perfect IVs for you Pokémon. Getting the correct Hidden Power type can be really hard. With all the inbreeding Ditto does with its own grand-grand-children, the fact they aren’t sterile is probably the second most unrealistic thing in the franchise.

This process is very time consuming, but is the best legal way to get competitive Pokémon outside of 5 :star: Dynamax raids who typically have 4-5 maxed IVs. However, breeding still beats Dynamax raids in terms of competitive shiny Pokémon acquirement.

Egg groups

This is what makes getting good legendary so impossible outside of gen 7-8. Pokémon can breed only with certain ones corresponding on their egg groups.

Pokémon can only be at a maximum of two egg groups at a time. Here is the list of them:

• Monster
  • Human-Like
  • Water 1
  • Water 2
  • Water 3
  • Bug
  • Mineral
  • Flying
  • Amorphous
  • Field
  • Fairy
  • Ditto
  • Dragon
  • Grass
  • Undiscovered

The Ditto class has only one Pokémon in it. No price for those who guess. It basically allow for the one to breed with any Pokémon outside of the Undiscovered group regardless of the gender. They aren’t picky.

Undiscovered cannot breed period. True, Latios and Latias might be really similar, but since they are both in the undiscovered group, they cannot breed. And also the fact they are twins. I can’t say for sure since I don’t have one, but I don’t think I would breed with my twin sister. Typically, every legendary and mythical except Phione and Manaphy belong to this group. That mean we can’t breed legendary Pokémon! Since breeding is the main way to get good IV Pokémon, do you see the problem? Now try matching that with Hidden Power.

Manaphy can breed with Ditto to create a Phione, the worst mythical in the game. If it wasn’t for the Pokédex, it would be a waist of money.

Poképedia made a great list of every Pokémon belonging to each egg group, there it is. That could also help you with your french :musical_note:.

Egg move

As with breeding with different species come genetic hybridation. In the Pokémon multiverse, this comes in the form of egg move. To make it simple, with breeding with specific Pokémon, you can access new moves you couldn’t have otherwise. Example, Bisharp learn Sucker Punch when bred with Toxicroak among others. Other one, with Roost no longer being a TM, Corviknight can learn Roost only when breeding with Mandibuzz.

This can be VERY annoying when you realize the move you want to teach is an egg move right after rising the Pokémon to level 100. #HappenedTwice.

And then, there is the real hard stuff: Wish-Teleport Clefable. Without this web page, I wouldn’t have found it. Read the steps there, it would be too hard for me to explain.

3 Likes

Ah yes, the art of forcing two animals to mate involuntarily. Lovely stuff.

2 Likes

I guess Dynamax solved how Skitty could breed with Wailord.

2 Likes

Oh dear

2 Likes

Except the fact that Skitty isn’t in SWSH. Wailord is.

#HSOWA

Can we move this convo to PokemonHub, or OnlyPokemon?

1 Like

That is a theory killer.

1 Like

All the things wrong with pokemon:

• Enslaving pokemon and forcing them to fight to the death.
  • Forcing your slaves to do some things in the daycare center. EVEN IF THEY ARE LEVEL ONE BABIES!
  • Disregarding pokemon unless they have a different color than usual.
2 Likes

Not to death, to the faint.

And also the fact the world is still existing after Black Hole Eclipse.

1 Like

But after fainting so many times, you gotta die at some point.

2 Likes

Always depend on how hard you knock them down.

Just… Do you realize how violent Max Geyser is?

1 Like

B l a c k M a r k e t

2 Likes

Imagine Blastoise doing that

1 Like

Or the Manga.

1 Like

I’m surprised pokemon don’t just run away at some point. Like, something’s gotta give.

no pls dont…

You can always just press a button and they go back in the ball

1 Like

I love the manga.

True, but they can break the pokeball.

pokemon are … helpers of humankind

1 Like

I feel like Lysandre has a point. Shouldn’t pokemon be free to make their own decisions?

Yeah…some of the “bad guys” of the core series game had a point.

2 Likes