Birdspam Discussion

This is the OG Birdspam, the team that absolutely ruled ORAS OU. It was so prevalent that you either used it yourself, or built specifically against it. In other words, this was the meta. Now to Insurgence, how could or should we improve this beast of a team?

Paste

Birdspam

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 128 HP / 128 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature

• Stealth Rock
  • Taunt
  • Skill Swap
  • Explosion

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 6 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature

• Swords Dance
  • Frustration
  • Close Combat
  • Quick Attack

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 6 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature

• Earthquake
  • Iron Head
  • Rock Slide
  • Rapid Spin

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature

• Brave Bird
  • Flare Blitz
  • Steel Wing
  • U-turn

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 6 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

• Tail Glow
  • Surf
  • Ice Beam
  • Energy Ball

Dragonite (F) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature

• Dragon Dance
  • Dragon Claw
  • Earthquake
  • Extreme Speed
1 Like

So, on first glance, there’s another Gale Wings user and another Extreme Killer in IOU. Talonflame vs. D. Blaz and Dragonite vs D. Arc. I think Talonflame is better for the role for the higher speed to win against non Endure+Salac variants of D. Blaziken, which also raises the question about set. I prefer the Band’s immediate and lasting power to the temporary boost from Gemrobatics, which allows it to hit things much harder, due to it not having the best attack stat. The recoil is fine, as it’s not meant to stay out long, just clicking BB or Flare Blitz 2-3 times. Skarm is pretty threatening, but Talon and Manaphy deal with it pretty well, as well as +2 M. Pinsir’s CC.

@PeterHolmes74

I’ll try to find the original post, so you can read the reasoning/teambuilding.

Original post:

Dragonite gives another Ground immunity and helps vs Lando, and is more likely IMO to get hit with a supereffective attack, as D. Arc is kinda frail and can be taken out by neutral STAB. It does hit harder with ESpeeed though.

I would prefer Delta Blaziken here, because it haves a 120 Atk compared to Talonflame’s 81 and it also have better coverage in Earthquake that hit Heatran harder and still beats Mega Diancie. It also learn Blaze Kick, Fire Punch or Fire Blast for Skarmory.

I think you have more than enough ground immunities to use Delta Arcanine. Since its an Hyper Offense, then I think Delta Arcanine’s STAB E-Speed would be better here. Lum Berry could be used for Zapdos’s Statik and Volcarona’s Flame Body.

I prefer the faster priority and ability to deal with Skarm, a very annoying mon for the team. With Band it hits harder than D. Blaz. Heatran is never really an issue, everything except Talon cam deal with it.

I mean, what about Choice Band Blaziken?

That’s a breaker, not a sweeper per se. Did you read the OP?

Yeah? But I guess you are right.

I mean, either works there, though EQ for Heatran isn’t really needed, and Drain Punch would be more useful to help vs TTar. IG it’s up to personal preference.

252+ Atk Choice Band Gale Wings Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Delta Blaziken: 313-369 (103.9 - 122.5%) – guaranteed OHKO