Updating the "BATTLING" link of the page

Sooo since someone (Gies) actually made a custom showdown server to feature all deltas, megas, items etc wynaut change the battling link to this? yeah its not official but its fully updated and you can use future gen stuff if you want.

heres the original post

4 Likes

prob not

It’s not finished, he is mainly working on Gen 8, though I asked him to fix some Gen 6 stuff. Also, custom items currently don’t work.

they work in AG im p sure

the custom items,i mean

no there’s a draft delta dex it only works there

ok lol

gimme a min

ok ij.

just tested and items work in AG

He just fixed them.

1 Like

ah that explains it. noice

I am still working on it but at the very least it works better than the current battle simulator

2 Likes

True dat

Sorry for the necro, but I assume you would like a full form answer to this and I will set this to auto lock in a week after this reply. The link at the top to battle will not be changed to that for a myriad of reasons.

1. The link that you are being provided is someone’s internal ip through a specific port and due to not being able to see or have control or view of the server at all times we can’t guarantee safety of users redirected to it nor is it connected to all the other stuff the battle sim integrates.

2. It lacks HTTPS Encryption so it isn’t protecting it’s own user data in communication meaning login info and various other things can be skimmed in the connection. This is why you see that Same-Site origin policy when you first load the site as it doesn’t have the proper security protocols to communicate with any primary server.

3. We don’t have access to the source code or any level of control over it so even if it was under https there is no guarantee any one is scanning for securities or bugs given the very push and hope it works nature that appears to be occurring in it’s deployment. Deuk and I have some heavy if we can’t see the source code to at least check we aren’t pushing it to the user. The newer installers function on this principle as they are tampering with things directly on the computer and could have serious consequences if they aren’t proof read or checked. There are countless browser exploits out there that could be used against users and while I don’t think you would do that it is better to be safe then sorry.

Current active codebases for show
https://gitlab.com/levi506/installing-insurgnece
https://gitlab.com/levi506/BattleSim

1. The nature of further version developments and the lack of communication between Gies not being on the internal insurgence 1.3 Dev team. Somethings that are likely to see major overhauls in version change or the finer details of somethings get lost by people editing the wiki. also some of the code internally is a cluster as well There is a lot of changes that are working behind the scenes and also minor things about the code can have serious behaviors. like regieleki out speeding trick room
4 Likes

???

Also, do you mean that Regieleki is unaffected by Trick Room?

And essentially, what you are saying is that you only would accept a modded Showdown server if the modder worked with the Insurgence Dev team, who would have to look over the code and approve it. Also, it’d have to work like a normal modded Showdown server, unlike Gies’ which is hosted from his Raspberry Pi.

1 Like

I see. I didn’t know there was so much behind the scenes stuff going on

To add to Levi’s answer, there’s also no control over the actual authentication in the Showdown source, it’s all handled through an external site. This would require us to actually trust Showdown to handle secure information properly. Personally however, I don’t. They only added support for HTTPS in late 2017, and honestly that showed me a rather big degree of carelessness with security.

As we’re not able to validate their authentication handling, nor able to integrate our own authentication into it, we don’t use Showdown for battling. It’s the primary reason we used PokeBattle over Showdown in the first place.

4 Likes

It is actually been shown in pokemon sword and shield similar to I think deoxys speed prior that due to how the speed calculation is handled it is possible for a pokemon to go so fast that they are no longer affected by by trick room. This happens because over about 1809 speed the game stops properly applying trick room since gen 5. This is just one of the many quirks caused by the main game and nobody really knows if it is intentional or not. There is a very good chance of these quirk occurring in insurgence or just bugs breaking how things were meant to work.

4 Likes