Solo Run Help

Hey everyone! Attempting a Hard Mode Solo Run (as Randomizer Nuzlockes hate my freaking guts) with Kangaskhan, and I’m super stuck at Xavier. My IVs leave something to be desired, and I haven’t fully EV trained either. Moveset is Fake Out/Return/Bite/Work Up, nature is Adamant. Heracross one shots with CC, Croagunk is a troll (only got past it because it used Bulk Up over Drain Punch ONCE out of the ~20 odd attempts), and the one run I actually made it past all that AND Mega Beedrill, Tentacruel Hazed me then Scalded me to death. Any tips on what I can do? I really want to stay on Hard Mode, and I’d rather not overlevel going into the fight, but I don’t see any viable alternatives for me at this point in the game. Thanks for reading!

5 Likes

You can’t overlevel in Hard anyways. I would recommend EV training. There aren’t any TMs you can access and learn now, otherwise I would recommend Bulk Up. Rest+Chesto Berry might have been an option, but you can’t get that until you have Seed Flare. You will basically have to RNG after EV training.

Or, you could disable Solo Run and catch something else, and trade Kanga to learn some TMs, then never use anything other than Kanga after that trade.

1 Like

Fair enough. By overlevel, I mean dialing the difficulty down to Normal, grind, then hit the Gym again. Looks like EV training is my best shot honestly

1 Like

my typho just ohkod it w/o mega-ing (because you don’t get mega at that time lol) but, then again you are playing SOLO

1 Like

The limited TM selection doesn’t do much for me either, but that’s what makes it fun

2 Likes

i searched it up, fun is a synonym for hell lol

2 Likes

I don’t know how much this will help, but you can use some rare candies obtainable before vipik city (without smashing rocks) to get your kangaskhan to lvl 38. Then, kangaskhan should learn crunch, and max happiness return will have a 25% chance to ohko tentacruel at +1, assuming that your kangaskhan has similar IVs as the tentacruel. Also, you should be able to outspeed and ohko the heracross at +2 with return, but this also assumes that both sides’ IVs are similar.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, forgot how Rare Candies bypass level cap.

1 Like

Update: Thanks all for the suggestions! I ended up restarting the run, got a Kangaskhan with MUCH better IVs (something like 28/28/20/29/25/22). I’m going to EV train it before Xavier, and hopefully between those two factors I can beat him.

1 Like

If when you get a Fighting-type move(I think you get one before the 3rd gym), you can max IVs and then you won’t have to grind for the rest of the run pretty much.

1 Like