RMT/Team Build: Mega Delta Charizard/Delta Luxray Core

Hey guys, whipped up this team a few days ago and looking for some advice on what I could do better on.

Delta Charizard (M) @ Delta Charizardite

Ability: Spirit Call

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe

Modest nature

- Dragon Pulse

- Lunar Cannon

- Shadow Ball

- Substitute

In honor of my main game I decided to shoot for a Mega Delta Charizard as my mega and special sweeper. Since it appears that Dragon Pulse and Shadow Ball are the best STAB’s and Lunar Cannon is boosted by New Moon, and it has decent coverage with that trio. Perhaps that one ice move (icy wind?) could replace one of the dark/ghost moves due to SE redundancy? Substitute was the only move that I really thought was practical for slot 4, but it really hasn’t been able to benefit me at all so far since the battle style of Insurgence seems to be largely heavy-hitter, so that could be switched to something else like Shadow Sneak.

Delta Luxray @ Air Balloon

Ability: Poison Touch

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef

Adamant nature

- Poison Jab

- Bulk Up

- Iron Tail

- Substitute

Even though I was hesistant to use a NU Poke for OU, Delta Luxray seemed to cover DCharizard’s fairy weakness, so I opted for a bulky offensive set. Again I used Substitute in case I get a free turn but so far it hasn’t proved too useful. Double stabs felt initially smart but Iron Tail isn’t the best move in the world so a different move could fit this slot instead.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet

Ability: Iron Barbs

EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SDef

Sassy nature

- Leech Seed

- Gyro Ball

- Stealth Rock

- Protect

I have a bit of an addiction with this Ferrothorn set, as it serves as rocks, Fairy-killer and leech-stall all at the same time. Nothing more to be said other than the fact that it accentuates my team’s glaring fire weakness.

Delta Scizor @ Life Orb

Ability: Scrappy

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe

Adamant nature

- Ice Shard

- Icicle Crash

- Close Combat

- Rock Tomb

I’m liking Delta Scizor so far in my main game too, so I grabbed the two strongest STABs in the arsenal, and true to normal scizor, the STAB priority ice shard. Rock Tomb seemed like a good coverage move for flying/fire types but it seems like D-Scizor is too slow to actually hit most of them first and dies due to its frailty. I could switch out the Life Orb for a Scarf just to change things up, but we’ll see about that.

Talonflame @ Leftovers

Ability: Flame Body

EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Spe

Adamant nature

- Flare Blitz

- Brave Bird

- U-turn

- Swords Dance

I felt that I needed a Fire type to round out the water/grass synergy I had planned, so I had initially went with a bulky Heatran (until I got the message it was unreleased). I decided that a Talonflame to roast/BB-into-oblivion most of the opposing Delta typings would be smart. Since as I said earlier, swords dance can get Talonflame killed frequently due to the heavy-offense, so I’m considering switching it to a different offensive move and switching to a Choice Band to cripple walls even further.

Marvin (Starmie) @ Life Orb

Ability: Natural Cure

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk

Bold nature

- Thunderbolt

- Psyshock

- Ice Beam

- Rapid Spin

I figured a spinner is important due to Talonflame. Starmie fills that niche the best, also fulfilling my team’s major lack of speed. I’m considering replacing one of the three core offensive moves with Surf just in case I get into a position where I need it, but I don’t know which one is least important?

Overall this team has a lot of offensive power but needs some little tweaks by someone with a little bit more knowledge of this metagame, so if you can help me I’d appreciate it :slightly_smiling:

Delta Charizard: I remember that New Moon was nerfed so that it only buffed Dark Moves, so you should definitely remove Shadow Ball as it kinda redundant like you already said. It might be the other way around, but pretty much just change the move that isn’t buffed by New Moon. For the moveset, I’m not really sure what to suggest since it’s kinda limited by the few number of TM’s, perhaps just wait for the next update.

Delta Luxray: This mon is kinda weird because it’s not quite fast enough to sweep, and it’s not quite bulky enough to be a wall. I would just use it for Toxic Spikes honestly, I’m not really sure what you could set up on with Bulk Up besides Clefable.

Ferrothorn: I would change Rocky Helmet to leftovers, and protect to Power Whip in order to deal with water types such as Azumarill. Use this spread: 252HP/88Def/168SpDef with a relaxed nature to tank hits from Azumarill, Excadrill, and Gyarados.

Delta Scizor: I’m not really a fan of this mon due to it’s frailty and slow speed, but I guess you should just use what you want. It’s walled by Slowbro/Slowking so I would use Night Slash instead of Rock Tomb.

Talonflame: Swords Dance and U-turn is kind of redudant. I would recommend the Specially Defensive set with 248HP/252SpDef/8Spe with the moveset being Roost/Swords Dance/Will-o-Wisp/Brave Bird.

Starmie: First, change the 252 HP to 252 Speed and a timid nature, Starmie’s speed tier is what makes it a viable rapid spinner. Your set kind of contradicts itself. Change the ability to Analytic to use the offensive starmie set and change Thunderbolt to Hydro Pump. Your other option would be to change the life orb to leftovers, keep natural cure, change thunderbolt to scald, and ice beam/scald to recover and/or reflect type.

Overall your team is weak to Excadrill/Tyranitar combo, Magnezone, opposing Talonflame, opposing M-Delta Charizard, and there’s probably a few others I missed.

I would suggest a bulky Landorus-T (whenever that’s released) or Hippowdon with stealth rocks, and change Ferrothorn’s stealth rocks to spikes.

2 Likes

When was new moon nerfed that way? It does not say so in the patch notes. To the OP: I think you could seriously use a ground type. In the 6th get metagame, they are almost invaluable and prevent things like Magnezone, Raikou and mega Manectric(when it is added) from running over your team.

Edit: Found the nerf. Rip D. Charizard being S rank OU :disappointed:. Still waiting for mega Flygon nerf.

You should give Dragon Dance To D Charizard If you want it to be fast

I know it would give it a speed boost but… the physical is completely wasted on a special-attacking Delta Charizard so I feel like Substitute is slightly more viable?

If you’re intent on keeping your Charizard on the team I would drop either Lunar Cannon or Shadow Ball. Dark and ghost have the same coverage, personally I would go with shadow ball for STAB. Replace with sludge bomb to help cover the Fairy weakness, and I run will-o-wisp to make up for it’s crummy defense. You might be better off swapping it for something else tho. I swapped mine for delta ambipom for the typing, plus it has pretty good attack and speed stats. Plus with the cursed body ability, if you throw a focus sash on it there’s potential to tank and disable your opponent’s only viable offense against it excluding pure dark types. For my delta luxray I ran toxic spikes, roar, super fang, and protect. Good spike set up, roar to keep swapping into your spikes, super fang for reliable hp drop, and protect to stall. Delta scizor is one of my favorites but unfortunately it’s lacking a bit. Way too many weaknesses and not enough reliability, if you really want to run it your best bet is to put it on a hail team as a physical sweeper with the ice cleats ability. I ended up swapping mine for a delta gallade with wild charge, ice punch (or icicle crash for more power/less reliability), earthquake to deal with 3 of his 4 weaknesses, and reflect to make up for its bad defense (could also replace with night slash/psycho cut for coverage). Your team is pretty physical heavy as well, maybe try replacing something with a special attacker.