(Mega) Reuniclus (Analysed ep.24)

"

"
-Mega Reuniclus

Hi guys, girls, oversize cell and everything in-between!

Well… That’s a premier! Nobody voted for the next Pokémon. Am… am I being lonely again ;-; ?

Be warned, since there is no competitive usage stats avaliable, I do not have any reliable ways to accurately predict the metagame. This analysis is theoretical and does not entirely reflect a Pokémon’s viability.

Typing, Stats, Ability & Movepool

Type: Psychic
Ability: Speed Swap (Overcoar/Magik Guard/Regenerator (DW) before Mega)
Hp: 110
Atk: 85 (65)
Def: 65 (75)
SpA: 160 (125)
SpD: 90 (85)
Spe: 80 (30)

Reuniclus and its Mega are, in my opinion, a mixed bag.

Regula Reuniclus is a slow and bulky sweeper like Snorlax. It would enjoy to afford having Acid Armour patching its mediocre defence, but it is otherwise unable to do anything on Dark types. Furthermore, it has stiff competition from Clefable, who’s own Calm Mind is an extremely dangerous sweeper. What Reuniclus has is STAB Psyshock allowing to win any Calm Mind war. This Pokémon can also be taken advantage of by common threats like Swords Dance Delta Arcanine, Bisharp, Mega Scizor, Mega Delta Lopunny and Weavile. However, unlike Snorlax, Reuniclus has reliable recovery, resistances, higher offenses and Magik Guard giving immunity to passive damage like Toxic or Hazards. It does have the four moveslot syndrome. Why not excellent by any means, Psychic type and bulk allows to check many Pokémon commonly found on offensive teams like Mega Loppuny, Mega Diancie, Mega Venusaur and Mega Medicham.

Mega Reunicluss is a very interesting lead for Trick Room teams. Since it only require to enter the field to activate Trick Room, it can be used to counter popular Anti Lead or can be spared on the back. Its main problem is, once again, competition as a Trick Room setter. It has a surprisingly high speed for a Trick Room user, something I never quite understood. Without the introduction of Trick Rock, Mega Reunicluss would have been the best setter. However, Cresselia has astronomical bulk alongside Lunar Dance. Plus, since it can afford to use Trick Rock, Cresselia’s Trick Room last for 7 mother****ing turns, or 6 turns after activation instead of 4. That doesn’t mean that they don’t go well alongside each other, quite the opposite, they turn Trick Room into a genuinely strong Anti-Meta playstyle. I’ve had the chance to play against a good Trick Room and… out of 5 battles with three different teams, I’ve never won once. Got close once, but I got utterly dismantled the other times.

Reuniclus has what it wants at its arsenal. Recover, Calm Mind, Psyshock and Focus Blast forms its main set, but you can also add Acid Armour for double dance sets, Grass Knot and that’s all. Shure, Reuniclus has what it wants, but I haven’t said it had very much options on the first place.

Sets Suggestions

Regular Calm Mind

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
-Calm Mind
-Psyshock
-Focus Blast
-Recover

Don’t sleep on that Pokémon, you will be surprised of the results.

Mega Trick Room

Reuniclus @ Reuniclite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 SpD
IVs: 0 IV
Relaxed Nature
-Calm Mind
-Psyshock
-Focus Blast
-Recover

Very similar spread as the previous since the stats don’t change that much. Better send on the lead to activate the Trick Room all the time.

Other Options

Acid Armour can be used instead of Focus Blast, but require heavy support to get rid of any Dark Type before attempting the sweep. It is preferred over Iron Defence for the higher PP.

Good Teammates

Reuniclus

• Delta Volcarona is a stellar teammate as it can beat Steel types with Corrode, cover Ghost types Absorb Knock Off thanks to the Armour and provide something huge: Toxic Spikes.
  • Toxic Spikes + Reuniclus was at one point a very popular play style in Gen 7 and is as strong in Ins.OU. Toxic Spikes weakens Dark Types tremendously while Reuniclus handle almost any grounded Poison types.
  • Fighting types such as Keldeo or Terrakion are welcomed as Reuniclus would appreciate not having to resort to Focus Blast to remove them.
  • Magnezone can trap and remove steel types for Reuniclus.
  • Fire types can do the same… but without the trapping stuff for the most part. Heatran, Talonflame and Delta Chandelure can be good teammates. Delta Chandelure in particular can remove Dark Type with a Fairy Aura STAB Moonblast. In return, Reuniclus can Setup on their checks like Bulky Grounds, Bulky Waters and Landorus-T lacking Swords Dance.

Mega Reuniclus

• Other Trick Room setters and mandatory on Trick Room teams as they need about 2 or 3 setters. Slowbro, Cresselia and Uxie and good ones. Clefable can do the job too.
  • Trick Room abusers as Conkeldurr, Crawdaunt, Curselax and Marowak benefit heavily from Trick Room.
  • Even on Trick Room team, they need one Revenge Killer. It could be a very fast Pokémon or a Priority user. Delta Arcanine has the potential to be an absolute monster, but worsen the already tough matchup against hazards. On a safer net, Delta Meloetta and Scizor can beat Dark type that often handle Trick Toom setters.

Checks & counters

• Dark Types are immune to Psyshock and can Pursuit trap Reuniclus. TTar, Mega Delta Lucario, Bisharp and Weavile are very annoying to face.
  • Steel types, especially those who are neutral to fighting, like Ferrothorn, Jirachi, Mega Metagross and Heatran are good ones. You know the pain of facing Jirachi. Somehow, it gets worst because even defensive variants outspeed you.
  • Bug Types like Mega Spidergross are dangerous for obvious reasons.
  • Mega Scizor very often runs a lot of bulk to handle Mega Alakasam and Mega Metagross, sometimes run Pursuit and always has powerful priority in the form of Bullet Punch to mess with Trick Room.

Overall

Regular Reuniclus is a nice pick that can be quite effective at times, even if it is not OU by status. I like those Bulky sweeper personally.

Mega Reuniclus on the other hand is one of the best Trick Room setter. Trick Rooms seems, in my opinion, a very strong Anti-Mega archetype and deserves its place in the tier.

• (Mega) Bisharp
  • Charizard
  • Delta Roserade
  • Gengar
  • Mega Venusaur
  • Others (comments)
0 voters
Summary

This text will be hidden

1 Like

I didn’t read it but ok

Regenvest exists as a very useful support/tank, and LO is an option for more power on the MG set.

Life Orb is not an option because it looses too much by forgoing the passive recovery Leftovers does.

That’s cuz you closed the poll lmao

Wait, what???

Yeah. You closed the poll

Man, I’m such a dumbass.

Then how do you make these episodes?

I’m part time dumb, I’m still in contract negotiations.

Just throw it in the trash and be smort

Well, depends on the role, as if you prefer a breaker to wincon, LO is preferred as you can set 1 CM and then effectively break.

1 Like

yes!