Mega Delta Lucario (Analyzed ep.26)

" All the kids in the market place say (Whey oh whey oh, ay oh whey oh), Walk like an egyptian. "
-Mega Delta Lucario

Hi guys, girls, god of death and everything in-between! I personally love Delta Lucario’s design even though I’m more inclined of using other Mega Evolution, since I prefer using a Balanced play style and Bulky-Offense instead of Offensive or Hyper Offensive teams.

Before we start, I started looking back at the old Analyzed episode and I made some adjustments on them. I edited a bit my first episode, the one on Armoured Delta Volcarona. This is the one where I made the most mistake as I was horribly bad back then. For more information, look here.

Typing, Stats, Ability & Movepool

Dark/Ground
Ability: Defiant (Justified/Pressure/Mummy (DW) before Mega)
Hp: 70
Atk: 145 (110)
Def: 88 (70)
SpA: 140 (115)
SpD: 70
Spe: 112 (90)

Having incredible stats and a movepool that goes along with it, Mega Delta Lucario is a force to be recon with. Offenses of 145/140/112 makes it faster than a lot of the metagame and also unpredictable since it can be either a physical or a special attacker. Its offensive typing is good. With adding one coverage move, the Pokémon can break past a lot of what the Metagame has to offer. Physical variant also greatly benefit from its ability, Defiant, giving it the same niche regular Bisharp has.

On the physical movepool, Mega Delta Lucario has access to Swords Dance as its main booking move and Earthquake, Bonemerang, Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, Blaze Kick, Knock Off, Iron Head, Rock Slide, Superpower, Zen Headbutt and two priority in the form of Sucker Punch and Extreme Speed. On the special side, it has Nasty Plot for a boosting move, Earth Power, Hidden Power, Grass Knot, Focus Blast and Dark Pulse. It also has Taunt.

Sets Suggestions

Physical Attacker

Lucario-Delta-Mega @ Delta Lucarionite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Swords Dance / Extreme Speed
-Bonemerang
-Knock Off
-Ice Punch / Blaza Kick / Extreme Speed

The EV Spread allows to hit as fast as possible. Jolly is very important in order to outpaced the common base 110 Pokémon like Gengar, Latios and Mega Gallade.

Swords Dance allows to setup. Bonemerang is preferred over Earthquake because it breaks Focus Sash and Surtdy. If the 10% chance to miss is very annoying for you, Earthquake is still viable. Knock Off is the preferred STAB ans it give utility too. The coverage move can be either Ice Punch or Blaze Kick. Ice Punch allows to beat Bulky Ground types like Garchomp, Landorus-T, Gliscor and Hippodown while Blaze Kick beats Ferrothorn and Skarmory. Extreme Speed can be used in the set, but at the price of either coverage or setup.

Special Attacker

Lucario-Delta-Mega @ Delta Lucarionite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
-Nasty Plot
-Earth Power
-Dark Pulse
-Hidden Power [Ice]

This set is much more a lure set as it doesn’t benefit directly from its ability. As trainers are more likely to send in physical walls, use Nasty Plot and imagine the trainer saying “Oh :poop:”.

Other Options

Grass Knot hit Hippodown and maybe TTar harder. It is otherwise a bad option. A specialy based mixed set using Defiant as physical setup and Nasty Plot as a special setup could be decent.

Good Teammates

Mega Delta Bisharp fits very well on offensive team as a way to apply immense pressure on the opposing team.

• Klefki is a stellar teammate. It is a spiker that doesn’t share a fighting weakness, fit very well on offense and also possesses Prankster to use Thunder Wave. In return, Mega Delta Lucario protect those spikes and menace Excadrill.
  • Grass types like Celebi and Amoongus handles Water types and even some opposing grass types as well.
  • Some offensive teams still need defensive backbone. Here, as Psychic Terrain doesn’t exist, Bulky Pokémon are the best answer to the overflow of powerful priorities in the tier.
  • Slowbro handle Water and Fighting types as well as providing a bulky pivot for the team. Slowbro also enjoy Mega D.Lucario handling Bisharp.
  • Delta Arcanine can form an extremely dangerous Offense Breaker core as very few Pokémon can actually block Arcanine like Skarmory, something Mega Delta Lucario can bypass with the good set or coverage.
  • On the same token, Ruingross is nearly impossible for stall and bulky teams to handle and pave the way for any sweeps.

Check & Counters

• With the near permanent priorities flying around, Mega Delta Lucario has too much of a struggle as it should against offensive teams.
  • Burns are very crippling for physical sets. Just like any other special attacker, yeah.
  • Clefable can be annoying for special sets once Clefable used Calm Mind and physical sets without Swords Dance can sometimes struggle to break past depending on the spread.
  • Faster Pokémon will hit Delta Lucario on its low bulk. Notable ones are Mega Manectric and Mega Loppuny. Mega Manectric can also Intimidate physical sets, but none really like Extreme Speed as it can OHKO them.
  • Mega Flygon resist or is immune to Earthquake and can eat a Knock Off. That’s a special case for a faster Pokémon.

I really have no idea for a best counter. Maybe Bulky Mega Scizor? But I don’t really have much inspiration now and I really want to release that episode since its was on my to do list for so long.

Overall

I would call it the Hyper Offensive weapon that checks other offense. Extreme Speed is very good at revenge killing those who are faster than it and it got the right speed tier to outspeed those who could take a hit or two.

Special vote this time, there is something I really want to get off my chest. I will analyse regular Ruingross because I want to show why it should be ban alongside its Mega Evolutions. I already did those Mega, but the regular one is not by any mean “balanced”. So, I go on with Mega Flygon/Delta Roserade or I go for Ruingross?

• Ruingross
  • Nah, do the regular planning
0 voters
2 Likes

unanimous i say

Earth Power with STAB is 120 BP with a 10% SpDef drop. Grass Knot at max power is 120BP. They hit TTar the same, Grass Knot is slightly better for Hippo. Bonemerang is also useful for breaking Subs and Mimikyu’s Disguise in Gen 8.

1 Like