Mac OS help

btw do i have to download any of this core stuff that appears at the top of every forum page or no because I only downloaded the thing on the main page?

Okay, I think I know part of the problem. I was able to get a different error message after dragging it to my desktop.

The error is the app and wineskin is trying to initialize the X11 system which is no longer included in newer versions of macOS since its obsolete.

You will need to download something called XQuartz, which is an open-sourced version of the X11 system.

Once that’s installed, theoretically it should run. I’m installing it now. Give me a moment to verify and see if any other error messages pop up after that.

Okay. Same error message.

I’ll work with this a bit more but I honestly think running the PC/Windows version in either a virtual machine like Parallels with a valid version of Windows or a program like Crossover might be best.

Wineskin keeps trying to initialize the X11 system and even with XQuartz installed, its not able to initialize it.

thanks anyways :slight_smile: maybe Im able to figure out something else

Okay, the wineskin wrapper used in the macOS version of PI is an older version that’s only supported up to macOS version 10.

There is a new Wineskin Wrapper available. You have to use the porting kit that’s available on Wineskin’s website to update the Wineskin Wrapper.

I’m working on testing that now.

Okay, I got it running by making my own Wineskin wrapper. It was much easier than trying to get the macOS version of PI running on High Sierra. I’ve verified that it works on my system so if anyone has issues setting it up, send me a PM or something and I’ll do my best to work with you. But if you follow the instructions you should be fine.

Things you’ll need:

Wineskin Winery version 1.7 and the core PC version of Pokemon Insurgence.

First thing you’ll need is Wineskin Winery, which is available here:

http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php?page=Downloads

The version I used is 1.7 and even though it says its only available for macOS Yosemite, it DOES work under High Sierra.

For the version of Pokemon Insurgence, you’ll need to make sure you get the full version, the core game. NOT the launcher. I haven’t tested this with the launcher and I’m probably not going to.

Link here: http://p-insurgence.com/releases/1.2.3/Pokemon%20Insurgence%201.2.3%20Core.zip

Once you have those two items you’re ready to go!

Open Wineskin Winery and you should have a little window pop up like this:

Don’t be concerned if yours is completely blank and you don’t see the “Wineskin-2.6.2” in the “Wrapper Version”. You still need a wrapper and an engine installed.

Click the plus ( + ) symbol in the left-center section of the window in order to add a new engine.

I chose “WS9Wine2.16” from the drop down menu that pops up:

You’re going to want to click “Download and Install” and then click “Okay” to, well, download and install it. Once that finished you should be back at the main Wineskin Winery screen and you’re almost ready to create your blank wrapper.

Next, make sure you click the “Update” button just below the window with the engine you just installed. It should update a wrapper in there for you, make sure its the Wineskin-2.6.2 wrapper or anything newer. (Thanks to Vetrix for letting me know this step. I was doing this part by memory because I’d already updated the wrapper.)

Go ahead and create a new blank wrapper by clicking on the button that says, “Create New Blank Wrapper”.

It is going to ask you a couple questions, the first of which will be the name of the wrapper/app. I named mine “PokemonInsurgence”. Go ahead and click “ok” once you have your name typed in.

It’ll take a little while for it to create the wrapper, while it does this it’ll help if you minimize everything on your screen so you can see any popups. The first time you create a wrapper its going to ask if you want to install .NET and HTML libraries in the wrapper. I went ahead and told it to install them. So essentially you’re going to get two popups that’ll ask you if you want to install, go ahead and click yes.

You’re going to get yet another popup, this one should be the one telling you that your blank wrapper has been created and if you want to view it in a Finder window. Go ahead and choose “View in Finder Window” because we’re still not completely done yet.

This is the finder window I got, ignore the “MyCoolWrap” apps. I was toying a bit to get proper documentation.

Go ahead and drag your wrapper to your desktop. This’ll make the next couple parts fairly easy.

Once the wrapper is on your desktop, right click on it and choose “show package contents”. You should get another finder window that looks like this:

Go ahead and double click just under “Drive_C” to where it says “Wineskin”. You should get an image that looks like this pop up:

Go ahead and click “Install Software”. You’ll now have three options. I went ahead and chose “Move a Folder Inside”. It’ll open up a window and you’ll need to navigate to your Downloads folder. So choose “Downloads” on the left and then inside there you’re going to only click once to select the Pokemon folder, then select “Choose”.

Mine automatically populated the game.exe location, but yours should say:

Go ahead and click “Okay” and then “Quit”. And you’re all done!

All you have to do now is double click on the PokemonInsurgeance wrapper that you created and the game itself should run.

Edit: Fixed part of the guide that I was doing entirely by memory. Big thanks to Vetrix!

1 Like

can you link the exact insurgence version I have to download? I only downloaded the Mac package from the main page or is that one the one I need

edit: my b I think I got it

edit2: I think I messed up something, I’m not able to Create New Blank Wrapper: https://imgur.com/a/vtYvK

Sorry! That’s the part I was trying to write out by memory.

See the update button there? Go ahead and click that.

Edit: I’ll update the guide once I finish eating lunch.

yup, update button, I just decided to press it, now it works

1 Like

just to make things clear, am I supposed to download the middle version of the 3 available windows-versions from the front page https://p-insurgence.com or should I download ‘Pokemon Insurgence 1.2.2 Windows (Core)’ ?

I went ahead and edited it with a link to the core as well as the “update” step. Big thanks to you for getting that to me!

The version on the front page you’ll want is the second one, the “core” package. Its right below the “Full Download” section. Here’s the link:

http://p-insurgence.com/releases/1.2.3/Pokemon%20Insurgence%201.2.3%20Core.zip

1 Like

goodness me it works, thank you so so much <3 after completing all steps I double clicked it and it said that it is not able to launch the game (or something along those lines, the message was in German so I’m not quite sure weather or not I translated correctly) and my heart stopped…thankfully I tried again and it worked :smiley:

1 Like

also, is there a way to make the game window bigger?

Whoohoo! Glad it works!

I’m not sure if/how to make the window bigger just yet, haven’t had time to sit and play much but in the meantime if you go to your system preferences, make sure general is selected, and have a check box in “zoom”, you should be able to use ctrl+mouse-wheel to zoom in and out. With the insanely high resolutions these new macs have been getting, I’ve had to use the zoom function on a number of things.

But I’ll take a look in a bit and see if I can get the window resized.

Okay, quick search of the forums and verifying on my own game you can make it a bit bigger by going to the options screen (pressing ‘f’ in the game itself) and changing the screen size in there.

It does change the size with the wineskin wrapper, so it works well.

I also verified and it seems like the save games are working as well this way. Haven’t played it much yet, but it should be good!

PS: the launcher will not work. Also, can you post that guide into the guides section of the forums, cause that will be helpful and I can add a few more methods.

The idea of making your own wrapper was a known method, but no one made a guide, so thank you. There should be no errors, and https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonInsurgence/comments/3nt6ga/insurgence_stopped_working_on_your_mac_heres_the/ will fix most of them.

1 Like

I was pretty sure the launcher wouldn’t work, but I hate saying something won’t work without testing it myself but I honestly just don’t see the need.

A lot of the problems I came across with the reddit information was how old it was, especially since the wineskin wrappers don’t seem to play well and update on High Sierra right now. I tried both the porting kit and the wrapper inside the app (the porting kit just uses the wrapper inside the app, unsurprisingly) and both hung and wouldn’t update. Once I finally got it to update, the app would just close after trying to open the game. As a result, the guide!

From what I’ve tested of the game with the core version I downloaded–everything seems to be working fine. So far anyway. But until I play and finish the game, I can’t say definitively.

I did go ahead and post it in the guides section though! Hopefully it’ll help get others going with it.

Yup, I might add a few more methods into that when I’m not lazy. I know for a fact you won’t encounter any bugs, except other mac-related bugs, mostly because I run my own wrapper, and so do a lot of people. (Also, that’s how the official wrapper is made so there really is no difference).

What do you mean by how old the reddit information is? Also, what were your problems with updating the inside wrapper? These are things that we almost automatically direct mac users to cause it helps a lot of problems.

I appreciate the detail that went into this guide! I’ve run into a slight issue, though. I’d been running the game fine, through the Windows core, but it wasn’t opening for me today, maybe since I updated the OS X beta. So I figured I’d give this a shot, but when I get to the “Install Software” portion of your guide, when I point it to my Insurgence folder, the move fails and it throws an error:

“You either do not have permission to move, or there is already a folder with that name in the wrapper’s Program Files folder”

Of course, permissions are not likely to be the issue here and, as far as I can tell, there’s nothing that even sniffs of the name Insurgence in the recently-created wrapper. What’s the deal here?

That’s awfully odd.

IIRC, there was a permissions/sandbox change recently for the new OS, try dragging the new wrapper to the desktop and injecting the Insurgence software there. See if that might clear it up.

Worst case–try creating another new, blank wrapper and see if you still get the error. I recommend naming the new wrapper something different just so you don’t get the old and new one confused. Speaking from experience, here. :slight_smile:

I haven’t updated to the beta yet so I’ve not been able to test and see if everything works. I might mess around with it this weekend and see though…

Open up Disk Utility and click on Macintosh HD, in the details box on the right, right below the volume name it should say the type of volume and the filesystem.

I recently came across a few issues with the APFS file system, particularly when “Case Sensitive” is used. Steam, for instance, isn’t supported under APFS (Case Sensitive) but seems to work okay when the filesystem is just APFS.

If it says HFS+, then that definitely isn’t the issue.