Kangaskhan Hard Run Solo Mode: And We're Back

Aaaaand guess who forgot about this?

Poliwrath is really annoying, but works as setup fodder. Between Power-Up Punches and a few Full Restores, it goes down and Kanga now has a Sub up and is at Max Atk. Next up is Gallade, who outspeeds me and potentially OHKOs… but is Sucker Punch bait. Next is Mega Zebstrika, who I forgot had Multiscale, but a +6 Return is more than enough to OHKO it too. Taen sends in his trump card, Mewtwo, next. Any guesses as to how this plays out? Yup, 1 Sucker Punch wrecks it. Following is D. Darmanitan, who also gets the Sucker Punch treatment. Last up is Kyurem, who… is annihilated by Return.

Taen must be pretty upset by now, having all of those Legendaries and still not being able to beat some snot-nosed kids. Reukra roasting him is hilarious:

And that concludes this section! Next up: Zenith (for real this time)!

Why does everyone struggle with Zenith?

2 Likes

Not sure if it really answers the question, but I forgot that Taen was the next big fight following Calreath. To actually answer, take a look at his Hard Mode team here: https://wiki.p-insurgence.com/Zenith

A well-planned full team of 6 can definitely make it through with few issues, but it’s going to be interesting soloing it without a Mega.

Earthquake, stone edge, surf

Total sweep

but kanga cant have any of those at that point?

I meant in a regular playthrough

Excadrill tho.

Earthquake and basically any water move

Hooray for procrastination! (seriously though, this’ll have to be the last post in this journey until I’m caught up with coursework)

Got to Zenith, forgot to screenshot everything minus the victory screen (oops). The whole Groudon standing on a table thing is simultaneously ridiculous and amusing, like how does it support over 2000 pounds of angry red dinosaur? Not to mention the trapdoor underneath… anyways, I learned that Kanga gets an interesting option in Wildfire. I realized Sub was useless with how much pressure Zenith’s team exerts offensively (Chandelure even has Infiltrator), so I looked for another option. Forgot Wildfire was just a downgraded Will-o-Wisp, so I slapped it on and hoped for the best. The other discovery, much to my chagrin, was I had completely forgotten about the X-Items sitting in the bottom of my bag. Between Burning Exca and boosting, I was able to buy enough time to run through the rest of the team. Honorable mentions to Heatran for surviving a something like a +5 Power-Up Punch, and Groudon for not straight up massacring Kanga with Precipice Blades (survived a hit with like 20-30 HP to spare). No idea how that worked.

All in all, this fight was only stressful initially because I was stubborn and didn’t look at all my options like an imbecile. Tune in next time for more shenanigans, screwups, and the fights with Persephone and Damian!

6 Likes

With school done, I can finally update my run!

I’m going to go ahead and assume you’ve all already been through the story, so I won’t put spoiler tags. If you’re new and haven’t, I’d recommend playing through the game first so you can experience all of it firsthand.
So, for those following along, Persephone stole her sister’s Cresselia, used it to attract Darkrai’s attention, then decided it would be smart to threaten to trap Cresselia in its Poke Ball forever by stomping on it. Yeah, real big-brain move there. Darkrai retaliates by sending everyone to the ̶S̶h̶a̶d̶o̶w̶ ̶R̶e̶a̶l̶m̶ Dream World and temporarily traps them there. A bit of wandering around later, and we meet a certain psychotic someone:

Says the girl wearing a Darkrai costume… anyways…
Considering your track record? Not really.
Really? What sort of mental gymnastics did you do to arrive at that conclusion?
Oooohh, so edgy! Also good freaking luck with that.

So basically, the battle starts with her Spiritomb going Mega and spamming Sucker Punch. I keep Kanga in its base form for Scrappy Fake Out and Power-Up Punch. I burn a few turns using 2 X Speeds and an X Attack, then go from there. Nothing likes taking boosted Returns or Crunches on Persephone’s team, so M Kanga just steamrolled everything. Her sarcastic response to her loss is funny, if not a bit sad, being someone with a world of ambition but gets thwarted at every turn. She may be the bad ̶g̶u̶y̶ girl here, but I can’t help but feel how frustrating that’d be, on top of an already tragic past. But, that’s neither here nor there. #persephonebestcrazywaifu #dont@me

Surprise rival fight up next!

1 Like

Uh-oh, who could that be?
Great. The cult of ̶C̶t̶h̶u̶l̶u̶ Deoxys is here…
Do I, though?
Wait…
You can’t possibly mean…
Over my dead body! Wait…
Not a chance, buddy. ̶C̶t̶h̶u̶l̶u̶ Deoxys can look elsewhere for hosts.
Esrtwhile best buddy? You’ve certainly seen better days.
From friendship to attempted murder. Pokerus is one heck of a drug apparently.
You’ve definitely seen better days, buddy.

Nothing special here, Mega Evo+Fake Out for Deoxys, use Metagross for boost fodder and KO with Crunch, Deoxys gets Max Revived and Superpowers for a crapton of damage. Kill it, M. Eevee in next. Outspeed with Return, Shaymin next. Take an Energy Ball for about half, heal, take another EB, left at critically low HP but KO w/ Return. D. Luxray is outsped and KO’d with Crunch. Pretty trivial fight to be honest (then again, what fight with M. Kanga isn’t trivialized?)

You sound more like a petulant 5-year-old than a grown ̶C̶t̶h̶u̶l̶u̶ Deoxys cultist.
At least he gives credit where credit is due, although I’d rather not look like an offspring of an eldritch abomination, thank you very much.
finger snaps Puh-lease, I am already excellent.
“Saved”.

Afterwards, Damien/Deoxys shows a surprising amount of sentience for a parasitized human and gives me a present in the form of a Crystal Shard(!).

Also, can we talk about how the guy just never catches a break? For all of his effort, no one gives him the time of day or takes him seriously, then he later gets turned into something you’d only see in questionable Japanese media. Yikes.

Tune in next time for the epic battles with the 8th Gym Leader (y’all know who it is), the two-faced prettyboy (seriously, his name should be Janus instead), and the puppet master behind all of the machinations involving the cults! Don’t miss it!

3 Likes

Pokerus is one hell of a drug apparently.

3 Likes

Killed me

3 Likes