Pokémon Happiness, or friendship, is a large deciding factor when it comes to evolving some pokémon. Pokémon happiness decides evolution, the moves Return and Frustration, and a couple of in-game items can be obtained through happiness.
Pokémon happiness can be increased by walking steps, or gaining levels with your pokémon. You can decrease your pokémon’s happiness (to avoid evolution, if wanted) by fainting your pokémon or giving it herbal medicine.
Here is how you see a pokémon’s happiness and what it means:
- Less than 50 is “hates travelling”
- 50-100 is “undecided”
- 100-150 is “loves travelling”
- 150-200 is “loves more than anything”
Note: Pokémon that evolve due to high friendship must be at 220 friendship or higher to evolve
Want to quickly get happiness points?
- Run around with the wanted pokémon at the front of your party (estimate: 256 steps is equal to one happiness point)
- Use vitamins on your pokémon
- Let your pokémon hold a Soothe Bell
- Feed it EV-reducing berries [Can be bought at Helios City Dep.]
- Level up your pokémon
- Catch the pokémon in a friendship/luxury ball
- Feed your pokémon happiness-raising berries: Tamato, Grepa, Pomeg, Kelpsy, Qualot, and Hondew (these lower stats, so beware!)
Some examples of happiness-evolving pokémon are:
Azurill > Marill
Budew > Roselia (daytime)
Buneary > Lopunny
Chansey > Blissey
Chilngling > Chimecho (nighttime)
Eevee > Espeon (daytime)
Eevee > Umbreon (nighttime)
Riolu > Lucario (daytime)
Golbat > Crobat
Igglybuff > Jigglypuff
Munchlax > Snorlax
Pichu > Pikachu
Togepi > Togetic
Swadloon > Leavanny
Woobat > Swoobat
Eevee > Sylveon (with a fairy type move)
Clefairy > Clefable
Leveling up a pokémon will give more happiness based on the level of friendship you have with your pokémon.
-[CREDIT TO THE FRIENDSHIP WIKI PAGE FOR MOST OF THIS INFORMATION]-
A pokémon starts with a base friendship of 70. If the pokémon hatched from an egg, it has a base friendship of 120.
Please tell me if I missed anything, there’s grammar mistake, or an incorrect fact.
Thank you to thePotato for his corrections on my page.