Farming Money/Exp/IV Stones/Heart Scales/etc

Made more improvements. Reorganized the guide to list all methods in order from fastest to slowest. Added the requirement to perform each method at the top. And, I’m not sure how I didn’t include this method until now, but I added the Rock Smash money farming method, which can be used even at the beginning of the game, unlike the other 3. I was going to say I now feel good about this guide being complete, but I said that last time and look what happened :slight_smile:

With the release of 1.2.5, there is a new money farming method! I added this to the guide. I placed it into the guide at #3 to preserve the order of having the methods being in order from best to worst. And thanks to all of the devs for their work on getting 1.2.5 completed and released!

2 Likes

Actually, in game, it shows. I used it when I was farming Pickup Pumpkaboo. It would give me a message when the opposing Pumpkaboo had Frisk.

Yes. It does this now because I fixed it in the patch that was released well after I made that post.

K, thx. I find it cool that you actually take time to respond to posts like this.

Hi! I’m new here, but I wanted to contribute my easy pre-Sonata City money method. I found this thread by researching IV Stone farming methods. I think some folks might find this useful, maybe…?

Requirements: Old Rod, given by a Fisherman in Route 2.

1. When you reach Crossroads, catch a Kecleon. It will know Thief. If it doesn’t, catch a Ditto too, breed a Kecleon, and train him up until level 25 or something, or use a Heart Scale. Mightyena is also an option, but it doesn’t learn Thief until level 57 so you might as well go the DexNav method.

2. Go to Suntouched Exitway. Start fishing with the Old Rod.

3. Use Thief on every Shellder that bites, run away right after. Shellder rate is 70%, so you’ll see them frequently. 50% he’ll be holding a Pearl, which sells for $700, and occasionally a Big Pearl, which goes for $3200. A message will pop up when you actually stole something. Remove Pearl from Kecleon.

4. When you run out of PP go back to the Pokemon Center to heal and sell your Pearls.

5. Repeat 1-4 until necessary. EDIT: Some quick math. I’d usually get somewhere in between 12 to 16 Pearls and 1 to 3 Big Pearls per fishing trip, which is consistent with the 50% and 70% rates mentioned above. Thief’s default PP is 25. This nets you an average of 13000 coins or so for every 32 to 35 wild encounters.

This was enough to tide me over until I got to Sonata City :slight_smile: I wouldn’t spend too much time
Pearl fishing, just enough to get your Secret Base set with the minimum and the backpack stocked with essentials.

Kecleon can be used to farm Heart Scales from Luvdisc as well. Earliest Luvdisc spot is Midna Cave with the Old Rod, 20% rate. Most frequent Luvdisc rate is Nexa Border with Super Rod, 40%. Luvdisc have a 50% chance of carrying a Heart Scale.

Making the same math as before: Midna Cave spot rate is approx. 12-17 Heart Scales for every 125 wild encounters. Nexa Border rate is approx. 12-17 Heart Scales for every 65 wild encounters.

Also EDIT, two side notes:

• Devon Corp as a Sonata Races sponsor gives out a LOT of Pokeballs: Most of the time I get an Ultra Ball, a Dusk Ball, and a Timer or Quick Ball or Great Ball alongside my money. Considering these balls are usually like $1000 a piece, and you can never have enough of them, you gotta factor the money you’ll save in your winnings from the races. The tiny tiny chance of getting a Master Ball is also tantalizing.

• Rock Smashing is not the most efficient way to farm Heart Scales, BUT if you’re trying to obtain IV Stones, you’ll get some too. I got about 25 Heart Scales to my 8 IV Stones (so far). So I’d wait until you got your fill of IV Stones to go Luvdisc fishing, if you were planning to do both.

9 Likes

Thank you for the thorough reply. Your two side notes are good points and I’ve added quick notes about them to the main post.

And thank you for that Shellder Pearl method. Posting new methods is also appreciated. Unfortunately however, I just happened to update the guide with a faster pre-Sonata City money farming method, and then afterwards I saw your post. It’s regarding Elder Clint Eastwood in the Dexnav, and due to his Pokemon’s set and the AI, you can beat his team (and get $2400 per battle) before you even get to Midna Town. Again, new ideas are always appreciated and thank you for the post.

2 Likes

Hey, thank you for the guide! I just want to add my method of dream mist farming before I had a team that could win in the frontier (I also used this right after reaching the dream realm for the first time, in order to turn the dream mists into IV stones, but this is probably not very efficient.)

1. Find a joltik (they are only found in murk forest). Make sure it has the ability compound eyes! (note, joltik is the best choice because post-game, you can teach it thief with the tm in the holon grasslands!)
  2. Teach a pokemon covet using the lady in the utira library (a pokemon that knows the ability frisk is the best choice, of course, but you can settle for any pokemon.)
  3. go to Cortisol Road, in the dream realm, and faint your joltik against the first pokemon you find.
  4. with the joltik still in slot 1 in your party and the pokemon with covet in slot 2, hunt for musharna (45% chance to appear) and hit each one with covet (or if using a pokemon with frisk, just keep an eye out for the notification and use covet when you see that it is holding a dream mist.)
  5. When you get one, make sure to take it from your pokemon before continuing.

Note: Normally, musharna has a 5% chance of holding a dream mist. Theoretically with a compound eyes pokemon in the front of your party it should be boosted to 20%, however either I had really bad RNG or it wasn’t working for me. It seems to have increased the chances of clefairy holding a moon stone/berry like it should have however, so it’s possible there is a system in place that prevents the compound eyes ability from affecting dream mists… or I could just be really unlucky. Regardless, I was finding somewhere between 2-5 dream mists an hour using this method.

2 Likes

pretty sure compound lens doesnt work with dream mists

1 Like

You’re probably right, hence my note at the end xD however it is still good to have the compound eyes joltik ready to learn thief for any of your item hunting needs.

1 Like

please dont necro

1 Like

Bruh you’re the one necroing

1 Like

they deleted their post?

1 Like

Yeah.

1 Like

Oh sorry I didn’t notice

For Dream Mist and maybe IV Stone

Items Needed: Hiking Boots and Magic Carpet

Pokemon needed: Banette with Frisk and Thief (Utira Library) and Butterfree (Compound Eyes) at least level 80+ to help out with the Pickup Pokemon

Rest of the team: Level 71 Pokemon with Pickup (Meowth and Bunnelby at Route 1)

Pokemon Looking for: Musharna (45% rate with a 5% chance to hold Dream Mist)

Bonus: Hidden Grotto has a chance to spawn Dream Mist every 12 Hours, so just savespam it.

What do: Have Butterfree as your first and whenever you encounter a Musharna. Switch in Banette and Frisk will see if it’s holding an item. If it’s Dream Mist just use Thief and faint it (faint it for the Pickup mons to find some IV Stones).

Sometimes Musharna holds a Comet Shard which can be sold at 60,000

IV Stone

If you have extra Dream Mists just go to Selene City and cook up some IV Stones for 1 Dream Mist and 3 Rare Candies

A Rare Candy just needs all the EV Boosting Medicines a pop

I’d faint the Butterfree and then have Bannette in slot 2.

That’s be a bit difficult since you may encounter Ninetales and Clefable if not Musharna

Yeah that’s true. Even if you use dexnav, it’s not worth cuz the items you can get are from all Pokemon, so you might get a sun stone or smth random

Not really sure that luvdisc strat is too covinient, it takes me 4 tries to actually get a bite, 4 bites to get a clampearl, 6 clampearls to get a luvdisc, and 3 luvdisc to get actually get a heart scale