Another E4 Team Question

Hey everyone, noob here. I played Pokemon Blue, Crystal, and Sapphire as a kid, and haven’t played since then. This is the first Pokemon game I’ve played in more than a decade. I made it to the Elite Four, with Bulbapedia open the entire time to check the weaknesses of every Pokemon. I’ve done a little bit of reading, so I now know the basics of stuff like EV/IV and what some OP items are, but I’m still pretty noob. Choosing my team involved looking at Bulbapedia’s list of all Pokemon sorted by base stats, and trying to make a diverse group. My entire battle strategy revolves around having strong attacks of every type and killing every enemy in one or two hits. The only status move I have is hypnosis on my Mew for catching Pokemon. It’s been working pretty well so far, but the Elite Four seem to be a whole 'nother beast, and I think I might need to revamp my team. Anyways, let me show you my team first:

So, this is the crew at the moment. I just got to the Elite Four, made one attempt, and got smashed so badly in the first fight that I know I have a lot of work to do, and probably getting a few more levels on each of my 'mons is probably not enough. If you were in my position, what do you think would be the most straightforward way to make this team feasible?

1 Like

The elite 4 scale to your level. So make sure your team is at the same level as your best mon (in your current case the entire elite 4 would be level 91).
As for strategy, Gyarados can sweep one or two of the elite 4. Taunt, Dragon/Sword Dance, EQ, Waterfall/Aqua tail set would smash baton pass team, and ground team. Make sure to use taunt first and then DD to set up.
As for other members, make sure you don’t have redundant moves, and understand which is more physical and which is more special attacker. For instance you don’t need both flamethrower and flare blitz on arcanine.
Also make sure you have a fairy type as the champion would be a lot harder without one.

1 Like

thanks man. good to know about the levels, so farming levels is meaningless.

OK, I looked up the move Taunt and the baton pass and ground teams. I see how using taunt would make their first pokemon useless and give me time to do dragon dance.

yeah, as you can see I didn’t really decide on whether to make arcanine physical or special. I couldn’t come up with a good idea for moves for him.

do you have a recommendation for a fairy type? and who in this team would you throw out for that fairy type? is Mew with a fairy type move not enough?

1 Like

Delta Chendelure instead of arcanine would be great. I also really like delta roserade (Shadow dance)- Fits well with your M.D.Charizard and his noctem. However the noctem negates the fairy moves. However it outspeeds almost anything during moon.

1 Like

ooh, cool! I didn’t know delta chandelure existed. I’ll go catch it now, change the moves on gyarados, and see what I can do.

1 Like

Gyarados can run Waterfall/Aqua Tail+Grass Custom in E4, but only in E4. I’d redistribute the 2 SPDef EVs in Gyara to ATK and such, as 4 EVs=1 point. Same for the rest of the team.

Swords Dance over Green Thumb on Lucario, D. Chand is good over Arc, and what are the items? D. Zard does not need Lunar Cannon, Frost Breath or Flamethrower should replace that. I’d get a special electric type or Eviolite D. Scyther over Electivire, and maybe replace Lucario for Scizor or Excadrill, who have better matchups vs the E4.

Thanks turbo! I have no idea what items I’ll use, lol. Do you have any advice on that?

Why switch the move on Charizard? I thought Lunar Cannon was pretty strong and works with the dark sky effect.

Also, what would you recommend for Mew’s moves?

Also, I have a Marowak and Metagross at pretty high level if either of those would be good on the team.

Lunar cannon basically has the same coverage as Shadow Ball, and both are boosted by Moon. Shadow gets STAB though, making it 10 BP stronger than Cannon. Also, more PP. Gyara runs Lefties/Mystic Water, if you run Custom Grass, Waterfall, Taunt, and Dragon Dance. D. Chand likes Scarf/Specs Timid Nature to outspeed stuff, D. Scyther if you have it runs Eviolite, Electivire Life Orb or Expert Belt, Mold Breaker Excadrill runs Scarf, and Scizor runs Lefties. D. Zard can also run Specs, letting you mega evo Lucario, but imo, it’s not great. Oh, Luc runs LO iirc.

lol yo, so I changed the moves on gyarados and caught the candle guy, then went to the E4 just to try out the new moves (with low level candle guy in my party instead of arcanine). gyarados easily soloed the first two, then I also managed to beat the second two. so now I’m on the champion with only 5 pokemon and don’t have very many revives either :sweat_smile: having fun :smile:

1 Like

beat the champion :grin: hopefully I don’t need max revives later in the game, cause they’re all gone now lol

1 Like

You can craft them using Revives.

There are also revival herbs at narra market if I recall correctly

1 Like