Analyzing Mega Marowak

Pretty interesting Pokemon with a unique ability. Let’s get right into the analysis.

Typing: Ground/Ghost - It is weak to Water, Green, Ice, Ghost, and Dark, but gets immunities to Normal, Fighting, and Electric, while having resistance to Rock and Bug and a double resistance to Poison. Pretty good offensively, and its defensive typing is somewhat weak but having an immunity to Fighting and Electric is nice.

Ability: Parental Bond - Parental Bond is pretty insane as an ability, it basically means the Pokemon can get a second hit for half damage, which basically equates to STAB. Thing of how broken Mega Kangaskhan was in VGC, its what makes Mega Marowak viable.

Base Stats:
HP: 60
Atk: 135
Def: 120
SpA: 50
SpD: 100
Spd: 60

Overall, pretty decent stats. It has a massive attack stat in 135, and pretty good defenses in 60/120/100. However, its speed is only 60 which means it can hardly outspeed other Pokemon.

Movepool: Not a great movepool, but it gets what it needs to be an offensive powerhouse.

For physical moves, it gets Earthquake, Bulldoze (which lowers opponents speed 2 stages), Power-Up Punch (Swords Dance boost with a decent amount of damage), Shadow Claw, Shadow Sneak (priority STAB move), Stone Edge, Seismic Toss, Body Slam (60% chance of paralyzing), Iron Head, Knock Off, and Fire/Electric Punch.

For status moves, it gets Belly Drum, Focus Energy, and Stealth Rocks. No other status moves are really that viable tbh.

Now, let’s get into the sets!

Megawak

Marowak @ Marowite
Ability: Parental Bond
Adamant / Careful / Impish Nature
EVs: 126 Def / 130 Atk / 252 SpD

• Power-Up Punch
  • Shadow Sneak
  • Earthquake / Bulldoze
  • Rock Tomb / Stone Edge / Body Slam
    Set Notes: On this set, you want to set up with Power-Up Punch (but worry about Ghost switch ins as they are immune to Fighting), then use preferably Shadow Sneak or one of the coverage moves. I would use Earthquake and Rock Tomb (to lower speed), but you could also use the alternate with Bulldoze and Stone Edge. If anyone has suggestions on the EVs, let me know, because I pretty sure to put EVs in Defensive is a smarter solution.
Critwak

Marowak @ Marowite
Adamant / Careful / Impish Nature
EVs: 126 Def / 130 Atk / 252 SpD

• Focus Energy
  • Shadow Claw
  • Earthquake / Bulldoze
  • Stone Edge
    Set Notes: This set always crits twice, which means it does an incredible amount of damage. It might be more gimmicky, but it can also work really well.
Drummak

Marowak @ Marowite
Impish Nature
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD

• Belly Drum
  • Shadow Sneak
  • Earthquake / Bulldoze
  • Body Slam
    Set Notes: Set up with Belly Drum, then sweep. EVs put into Special Defense and Defense because at +6 it does a lot. Preferably use Shadow Sneak for priority.
Other Options
  • A set with a speed reducing move (Bulldoze/Rock Tomb) OR (Body Slam) and a Flinch move (Headbutt, Iron Head, etc) could work
  • Using other coverage moves (Fire/Electric Punch) or Knock Off could be used without setting up due to its massive attack.

I thought it was a good analysis overall in my opinion, though I dont know what I would put the EVs in in the first two sets. Let me know your thoughts!

2 Likes

Probably want to go 252 in HP and ATK. With such a low HP stat, and good bulk, seems like it would make more sense to go that route. Also combines well in a trick room team. Probably worth it to switch out rock tomb for better coverage, likely thunderpunch, as other mons could be used for slowing down/crippling opponent mons.

3 Likes

yes max hp would be really good here

1 Like