Analyzing Delta Vespiquen

Pretty sick Pokemon typing and idea. Let’s get right into it!

Typing: Fire/Steel - Great typing offensively and defensively! It is resistant to Flying, Big, Fairy, Steel, Grass, Dragon, Psychic, and Ice, Immune to Poison, and Weak to Fighting, Ground (though not w/ Levitate), and Water.

Ability:

1. Levitate - Makes D. Vespiquen immune to Ground-type moves and unnaffected from Toxic Spikes and Spikes which is good. Because of its 4x weakness to Ground, this completely patches it and is great.
  2. Speed Boost - At the end of each turn, the speed stat is raised by one stage. This is a pretty good ability in general but doesn’t work great on D. Vespiquen in most cases due to its naturally slow build.

Base Stats:
HP: 70
Atk: 80
Def: 102
SpA: 80
SpD: 102
Spd: 40
Pretty bad stats overall. It has a semi-decent Attack / Special Attack, and a horrible Speed. However, it has a good Defense and Special Defense so it can be used defensively or on Trick Room teams.

Movepool: Fantastic!

For Special Moves, it gets Fire Blast/Flamethrower and Flash Cannon as STAB. Coverage wise, it gets Earth Power, Volt Switch/Thunderbolt, Sludge Wave/Bomb, Energy Ball, Dazzling Gleam, and Focus Blast which are all pretty good.

For Physical Moves it gets Flare Blitz and Iron Head (and Gyro Ball) as STABs. Coverage wise, it gets Drill Run, Gunk Shot/Poison Fang, Shadow Claw, and Aerial Ace which are all pretty good.

Where D. Vespiquen really shines are in its status moves. It gets Will-O-Wisp which is fantastic for its build. It also gets Toxic and Venom Drench which form a pretty good combo together. For healing it gets Roost which is nice, and it also gets Magnet Rise which could patch its weakness to Ground. Also it has Stealth Rocks, Iron Defense, Thunder Wave, and Confuse Ray.

Offensively for status moves it gets Shift Gear which is a phenomenal move in general. Calm Mind and Swords Dance are worse moves in my opinion but could potentially be used.

Now, let’s get into the sets.

Will-O-Wisp Set

Delta Vespiquen @ Leftovers
Calm / Bold Nature
Ability: Levitate
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD

• Will-O-Wisp
  • Roost
  • Overheat
  • Stealth Rock
    Will-O-Wisp is gonna be used mostly to make the Pokemon’s attack stat go down. If they aren’t a physical attacker, Overheat could be used. Roost is used to heal after a status move, and Stealth Rock is good for switch ins. Volt Switch can also be good.
Specially Defensive

Delta Vespiquen @ Assault Vest
Calm / Modest Nature
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD

• Flamethrower / Fire Blast
  • Flash Cannon
  • Earth Power
  • Volt Switch / Thunderbolt
    These moves give D. Vespiquen pretty good coverage for like every type in the game, though I think the first set is definitely better to use.
Other Options
  1. A set with Toxic and Venom Drench could definitely be used
  2. A set with Protect and Speed Boost could be used
  3. A Physical set with Gyro Ball and Flare Blitz possibly with Swords Dance could work

Not sure if my set analysis was great, let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions.

3 Likes