Analyzing Delta Magmortar

I have mixed feelings about this Pokemon.

Typing: Water and Steel is GREAT! It gets resistances to Normal, Flying, Steel, Water, Rock, Psychic, Bug, Ice, Dragon, Fairy, and an immunity to Poison. Its only three weaknesses are to ground, fighting, and electric.

Ability: Just average in my opinion. More people tend to use Mega Launcher, which could be used, but even with Mega Launcher and Water Pulse the base power is just as much as Surf. It does get good coverage in Dark Pulse and Aura Sphere, but I’m not sure if its the best ability. I personally like running Filter more because of its consistency.

Stats: D. Magmortar has good attack stats with 95 atk and 125 special attack. It also has 83 speed which means it could be used with a choice scarf. However, the biggest weakness on this thing is its defense. 67 Defense is extremely weak and allows it to be destroyed by most Physical Attackers that have a neutral/effective move.

Moveset: This Pokemon has a great moveset! It gets Aura Sphere and Dark Pulse (which can be paired with Mega Launcher), as well as Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower/Fire Blast, Shadow Ball, and Energy Ball. It also has decent STAB moves in Flash Cannon and Water Pulse / Surf.

Here are some set ideas that I have:

1. Choice Scarf Set

Delta Magmortar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Timid Nature

• Water Pulse
  • Flash Cannon
  • Aura Sphere
  • Dark Pulse

Pretty basic set, basically gets STAB for every move with Mega Launcher.

1. Assault Vest Set

This set is super risky. Since D. Magmortar’s defense is super low, this is a set you can switch when going against a Special Attacker.

Delta Magmortar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Filter
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature

• Surf
  • Flash Cannon
  • Thunderbolt
  • Fire Blast / Flamethrower

Other Options:
You can also use Superpower as you will only use this set to fight Special Attackers.

Let me know what you guys think, not sure about my opinion on this analysis.

1 Like

So, Water/Steel is one of the best defensive typings, but a severe lack of recovery cripples it, so you have to run Leftovers or AV on most defensive sets. Mega Launcher can be a good ability, especially on New Moon teams like this Magmortar Moon team where Dark Pulse becomes further boosted and Aura Sphere is useful to allow it to become a discount Keldeo which can also deal with Fairies. This Pokemon is UU or RU at best, but it may fall to NU. However, it does have niches in higher tiers due to the great typing. However, it is usually outclassed by the main 2 bulky waters in OU, being M. Milo and D. Regice, and is outclassed offensively by the aforementioned Keldeo. Superpower would mainly be used to destroy opposing steels, though Mega Launcher Aura Sphere is more powerful.

4 Likes

Really feels like my old analysed episodes to some degree. Keep on the good work!

1 Like

Thanks for the tips. Love its ability and move pool but wish it had better base stats.

2 Likes