Analyzing Delta Hydreigon

Delta Hydreigon is an extremely interesting pokemon. Love the idea behind this Pokemon. Now lets get into it!

Typing: Poison/Ground is relatively good. It is weak to Ground, Water, Psychic and Ice, but is immune to Electric and is resistant to Fighting, Poison, Rock, Bug and Fairy. Looking into it now, Ground Ice and Water are really big weaknesses and are coverage moves for a lot of Pokemon, so the typing might not be great, but still has a lot of resistance.

Ability: Intoxicate - Really good ability, it allows normal moves to become poison type (so they get STAB) as well as a 1.3x boost. This allows the user to get good damage on Hyper Voice or Tri Attack.

Stats: Great in my opinion. It has a really high Special Attack at 125 yet also has a great attack at 105. It has 98 speed which is pretty good, and has pretty decent bulk 92/90/90.

Movepool: Pretty fantastic. It gets good physical moves if you want to run a Physical Set in Thunder/Ice/Fire Fang, Earthquake, Foul Play, Gunk Shot, and has access to U-turn. It also has pretty good special attack moves in Hyper Voice, Earth Power, Flash Cannon, Focus Blast, Fire Blast/Inferno, Dark Pulse, and Surf. It also has a fantastic move in Corrode, which allows it to bypass Steel’s immunity to Poison.

Now, on to the different ideas I have for this Pokemon.

1. Choice Specs Set
    Delta Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Intoxicate
    Timid Nature
    EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
  • Hyper Voice
  • Corrode
  • Earth Power
  • Dark Pulse / U-turn

Pretty straightforward set.

1. Revenge Killer
    Delta Hydreigon @ Eject Button?
    Ability: Intoxicate
    Jolly Nature
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
  • Retaliate
  • Earthquake
  • Superpower / Ice Fang / Foul Play
  • U-turn

This set is super interesting. Once a pokemon has been knocked out, D. Hydreigon is a great switch in. Retaliate is a strong revenge move in general, but when you add the additional boost from Intoxicate on, it gets up to 273 base power! This set also gets Superpower which can be a good move to use before switching out.

Love this Pokemon. I think it has a pretty good place in the meta. Let me know your thoughts on this analysis and if you have any future pokemon recommendations.

1 Like

As for the Revenge Killer set, I would sick with Choice Scarf. I don’t like the idea of a physical attacker given its better damage output on the special. It would probably be using its physical movepool as a mixed attacker with Life Orb to beat Chansey, Delta Regice and other special walls.

But I do agree Retaliate can be a gimmicky yet fun tool to use.

2 Likes

Physical can be used, but most of the time, it’s a lure set for Blissey, Ttar, and other special walls on ladder, in draft, it’s ability to run physical and mixed sets as compared to normal Hydrei is very useful.

2 Likes