Analyzing Delta Aurorus

I think this pokemon is surprisingly underrated and also functions really well on Fire teams. Now let’s get into the analysis.

Typing: Water/Grass is pretty good in my opinion. It gets resistances to Steel, Ground, and Water, which are all common types in the meta. It does have weaknesses to Flying, Poison, and Bug (which means U-turn), but none of these are as strong as its resistances.

Base Stats:
HP: 123
Atk: 77
Def: 72
SpA: 99
SpD: 92
Speed: 58
Pretty interesting stats. it gets a fantastic HP stat which goes along with its ability well, and it has a pretty good Special Attack. Its Defense is pretty weak and its Speed is really bad however, which hurt its ability to be viable.

Ability:
GREAT. Phototroph allows D. Aurorus to gain 1/16th HP per turn (equal to Leftovers), and allows it to gain 1/8th HP per turn in harsh sunlight. This, combined with high HP stats and Leftovers or Big Root, allows for D. Aurorus to gain massive HP per turn.

Moveset:
Fantastic!

For offensive moves, D. Aurorus gets STAB Energy Ball, Solar Beam (for sun teams), and arguably its best move, Giga Drain, which allows it to heal HP. For water STAB moves it can use Hydro Pump, Scald, Surf, and honestly Brine is viable also. For coverage moves it gets Ice Beam and Earth Power which are both strong.

For defensive/status moves, D. Aurorus gets Synthesis (low PP but 2/3 HP in sun) or Recover (higher PP but 1/2 HP recovered). It also gets Soak, which could be used on Fire type Pokemon.

Now, to the sets.

Defensive Sun Set

Delta Aurorus @ Leftovers
Ability: Phototroph
Sassy Nature (+SpD,-Atk)
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

• Giga Drain
  • Earth Power / Aqua Ring / Sunny Day
  • Synthesis / Recover
  • Toxic
    Giga Drain is the most often used move, also good to badly poison targets and stall with Synthesis (which recovers 2/3 HP in Sun) or Recover (1/2 HP but more PP). Choice of Earth Power to cover fire types, Aqua Ring to heal more HP, or Sunny Day to reset weather.
Sun Sweeper

Delta Aurorus @ Big Root / Leftovers
Modest Nature (+SpA,-Atk)
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA

• Giga Drain
  • Ground Power
  • Ice Beam
  • Synthesis / Recover
    Pretty simple set, most of the time you’re gonna want to use Giga Drain as it can do a decent amount of damage while also helping D. Aurorus recover HP.
Specially Defensive Set

Delta Aurorus @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature (+SpA,-Atk)
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA

• Scald / Surf
  • Giga Drain
  • Earth Power
  • Ice Beam
    Fairly simple set, this acts as a Specially defensive pokemon. Can’t handle defensive pokemon well at all, but Scald could allow it to burn targets and not take as much damage from attacks.

Let me know what you think on the analysis, I thought my sets were pretty good.

1 Like

you’ll get there one day my friend and on that day I will use it in competetive battles

3 Likes

the day has finally come friend

1 Like