Ability Vs. Hidden Ability

Is there a difference between the two? I’m the type of crazy maniac that needs to know everything about a game before playing, plays the game and finds out there was something he didn’t know, then goes back to restart LOL…

I always thought they were the same thing, but I’ve been finding some threads and some info online that suggest they are not.

All Pokemon have a Primary Ability and many also have a Secondary Ability. These abilities are what you would expect the Pokemon in question to have out in the wild. Using an Ability Capsule allows you to switch between a Primary and Secondary Ability.

Excluding Pokemon who only have one ability such as Koffing or Flygon, all Pokemon also have 1 Hidden Ability. Hidden Abilities cannot be obtained unless the Pokemon in question is found in a Friend Safari or is the offspring of a parent with a Hidden Ability when breeding (in Insurgence’s case at least). Hidden Abilities also cannot be obtained by using an Ability Capsule.

Thanks for the reply!

Ah I see, but the hidden ability still takes the place of the ability right? If so, okay that makes a lot of sense. I guess I knew about them but that never registered haha

In the new 1.2.3 is this still the case or can you get hidden ability outside of friend safari and breeding?

not that I know of.

from what I can tell i works exactly like the Nintendo games, and methods for obtaining HAs there don’t exist here

Both are necro posts but to answer ShadowOrigin’s question, yes you can. There’s an NPC in the nightmare realm called dream guru who changes normal abilities to HA in exchange for a dream mist.