Mega Ruingross (Analyzed ep.3)

“I’m not a hot head, more like a rock head.”
-Ruingross

Hi guys, girls, big old sapient rock pile and anything in between! As promised last time, during my online classes, I’m doing something that actually require brain cells. Let’s get into it shall we?
Be warned, since there is no competitive usage stats avaliable, I do not have any reliable ways to accurately predict the metagame. This analysis is theoretical and does not entirely reflect a Pokémon’s viability.

Typing, Stats, Abilities & Movepool

Grass/Rock
Ability: Rock Head (Sturdy/Rock Head (DW) before mega)
Hp: 80
Atk: 145
Def: 150
SpA: 105
SpD: 110
Spe: 110

Lets face it, even with his subbar speed when before mega, there is no way I see him near over used. He completely invalidate Stall, fully counter New Moon, destroy most balance and can hold up against Hyper Offense. Just like Mega Mawile, I think he does not deserve its place in OU and MUST go to Ubers.

In that case, this will be an Uber analysis.

Outstanding bulk for an offensive Pokémon (especially under Sandstorm), solid speed, and high attack makes him a solid contender for balanced team… if it wasn’t for its typing. Honestly, its not bad. Its just that, along with ground, grass type nullify many of its resistences like Fire and Water. It leave it only with Normal and Electric resistence. Being a Grass Type that isn’t weak to Fire is good, but since he is not resistant to ground, it invalidate its point as a Primal Groudon check. At least, defensively. He offensively check most of the slower Uber in Ho-Oh, Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, and the 90-95 speed tier.

As for pre-mega ability Sturdy is the most useful if you predict wrong and send your Pokémon in, so it become a death fodder or can pose some kind of threats. But when Mega, well… Lets say we couldn’t ask better. Here is why:

Moovepool. Oh, sweet sweet movepool. It is the same as Crystal Ruingross obviously, so Seed Bom, Wood Hammer, Earthquake, Brick Break, Diamond Storm, Stone Edge, Rock Slide, X-Scissor, Poison Jab, Wild Charge, Zen Headbutt, iron Head, Power Up Punch, Gunk Shot, Thunder Punch and most importantly, Head Smash.
Goddam Rock Head Smash. Freaking 150 Bp and 80 accuracy attack without drawback. Just for you know, it is as strong as Giga Impact. Coming out of 145 base attack, lets say he can widen your back orifice to the side of a bagel.

Withoud a proper steel type, he is near impossible to safely handle. Even then, very few things can switch on it. And this is without mentioning Hone claw, boosting its attack and fixing his accuracy problem at the same time!

Sets Suggestions

Hone Claw Sweeper

Delta Metagross (Ruin) @ D.Metagrossite(Ruin)
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Hone Claw
-Head Smash
-Wood Hammer
-Protect

Hone Claw is the selling point of this set, allowing him to patch his accuracy problem while making him one of the greatest wallbreaker in the tier. Earthquake or Crystal rush can be used instead of Protect as a choice between hitting Primal Groudon when unboosted as well as hitting Ferrothorn or get the jump on faster threats like Mega Flygon, Weakened Xerneas or Darkrai at the cost of a safe Mega Evolution.

Other options

All-Out-Attacking sets may be inconsistent without accuracy boosts, but are still viable. Substitute is an option to transform Ferrothorn from check to setup fodder. He can also Pursuit Trap Giratona-O, but has little use outside of that.

Best Teammates

• Primal Groudon handles Ferrothorn when carrying Fire attacks and setup Stealth Rock for Mega Ruingross. In exchange, Ruingross check Primal Kyogre and Ho-Oh.
  • Shadow Mewtwo provide Intimidate Support to help Ruingross take hits better. The two forms a very good wall breaking core for Hyper Offense teams as they provides few defensive utility.
  • Giratina-O check the dangerous Mega Blaziken, burn/toxic foes and provide Defog Support.

Check and Counter

• Mega Bishard mold right trough Ruingross and outspeed its Crystal Rush with Sucker Punch.
  • Ferrothorn resists his STAB, may tank few Crystal Rush and paralyse it, but is not a great long-term answer.
  • When not carrying Crystal Rush, Mega Flygon is impossible for Ruingross to deal with thanks to Flygon’s higher speed and STAB Bug Buzz.
  • Mega Evolution preventive methods is the best way to prevent him from being unstoppable.

Overall

Nothing to say, its broken. What do I do next? Here are some choices:

• Keldeo
  • Mega Crawdaunt
  • Mega Gyarados
  • Mega Feraligatr
  • Mega Typhlosion
  • Others (comments)

0 voters

7 Likes

ah yes, this is really good

1 Like

um with the set u have, why not rock head? it means you can use wood hammer & head smash on repeat.

2 Likes

Because he gain Rock Head when he Mega Evolve

But it suits better as a coverage for its crystal counterpart.

can we all just discuss how STUPID i am?

4 Likes

Elsewhere please.

Hone Claws Head Smash is basically all you need tbh, what is wood hammer targetting exactly? Haven’t played ubers much but I’m guessing P. Kyogre?

2 Likes

Yes, it also hit Arceus-Ground and Arceus-Water. It also does good damage overall on a Primal Groudon Switch-in. Wood Hammer is also more accurate than Head Shash, so it might be better when finishing a weakened opponent.

2 Likes

I still have problems digesting the fact that you are THIS smart.

2 Likes

Don’t forget, you can also break all of those checks by carrying the proper move. It can survive an unbolted Sucker Punch off M Bisharp, and KO with an possibly boosted EQ. Against M Flygon, Bug Buzz is neutral, and a Head Smash, if it doesn’t miss is an OHKO. Ferro is the only decent counter in a 1v1, and Ruingross is immune to it’s Leech Seed shenanigans and can hit it hard if it runs Drain Punch, esp. after a boost. It would still take massive damage off a STAB Gyro Ball, which is why Sub would not allow set up on Ferro. In the sim, you can remove/swap mega stones, so that is the current best way to counter, other than with a fast Ice type move outside of Sandstorm if not Mamoswine and Weavile. At least Accelerock does not exist in this gen.

4 Likes