Kangaskhan Hard Mode Solo Run

Hi all, I’m back! After an insane amount of blood, sweat, and ridiculously lucky RNG rolls, I made it to Harmony. However, this may prove to be the endpoint for the challenge, as with everything I have right now, I have not been able to make it past her SECOND Pokemon. I cannot ask for items, as trading is impossible (sort of- I had no way of grinding IV Stones prior to this, so I got the Machop from Suntouched exclusively for IV Stone grinding, never used it in a fight, and stuck it in the DayCare afterwards. I could technically get it back, and enable trades that way). Kanga’s Mega Stone would likely trivialize all of this, but that can’t be done either (see previous). I really don’t want to overlevel if I don’t have to. What do you suggest I do?

Options
    1. Overlevel by 5, see if it makes a difference
    1. Use the Machop as means of trading an item (X Attack/Defense 6 or something)
    1. Use the Machop as means of trading for Kanga’s Mega Stone
    1. Suck it up and figure out a way to win without resorting to any of the above

0 voters

I want to keep with the spirit of the challenge, but so far I cannot for the life of me come up with a possible solution beyond what I’ve posited here. Thanks for reading!

1 Like

First to vote BABAY!

If you’re on hard, you have a method to bypass the level cap. I.E. Rare Candies. This method only becomes grindable at Selene, but if you grind Sonata Tracks, you can get some useful items. The only applicable one here is Shock Wave, which isn’t great. The idea would be to get cash here and buy a bunch of vitamins to make Rare Candies. I would probably use a few Rare Candies to grind, that way you have a limited/time consuming way to overlevel, discouraging it.

1 Like

The other method would just be switching to Normal, grinding, switching back to Hard, and trying again. I just want the run to be legit, not sure what everyone else considers to be an infraction of the rules for HM Solo Runs.

1 Like

I mean, yeah, do it your way, I just prefer never to swap to Normal in a run like that, forcing myself to plan things out to try to not waste Rare Candies, as you only have a few pre-Selene, and even then it takes a ton of time to get 1 level. I would consider that a shortcut, but whatever, if you have a life, I wouldn’t hold it against you.

2 Likes

lmao

Totally fair, thanks for your input. I’ll see how many RCs I have right now. Thinking about it more, trading feels cheap, so leveling is the most valid answer right now that I can see. No combination of moves in particular is going to get me out of this predicament at my current level.

1 Like

So… 5 Rare Candies, lots of Hyper Potions, Life Orb, and a moveset change (dropped Crunch for Work Up) was enough to win! Holy heck that was tense- 1 crit and I would have lost. Thanks again for the advice, and I’ll update everyone once I advance further.

1 Like

GL with your run!

1 Like