Cannot find save file after issues

I’m trying to play insurgence on a MacBook Pro that is a couple of years old and has OS Mojave. Currently the biggest problem is lost data, but I’ve also been having crash issues.

I’ve tried searching the forums for solutions, but nothing I could find worked for me. Initially, the problem was that the game kept crashing. I was somehow able to fix it partially (did a lot of things, not sure what in the end helped). I’ve been playing for several days now and got to the next town after the first gym. The game still crashed time to time, but much less frequently.

Now, as I ran back and forth route 3, I battled this old woman who uses fairy types. The game crashed several times during that battle, and I decided to try to check for any updates or other fixes I could find. After a while I lost my old save file. Haven’t been able to find it with any of the tips on the forums, there seems to be no such file on my computer.

I created a new account also and again the game started crashing, always on the 2nd floor of the darkrai cult. This stopped when I deleted the ME file, but not sure if the crashing will continue later (haven’t played much after restarting. Tried finding the 2nd file too, but no luck.

Any help and ideas how I could try to find or recover my data would be greatly appreciated.

Further info: I can find a folder for saved games but there is nothing inside (even as hidden files). Also just noticed that by starting the .exe file for the game, I am able to open the newer save file, but alternative opening methods like through the run game command do not let me open any save file.

UPDATE:

After spending a lot of hours and trying everything I could think of, I found my save file. I had to do it a bit differently as it wasn’t in the Pokémon Insurgence folder that I thought it should have been in. I would like to share how I found it in the end if anybody else has similar problems.

First, I made my computer show hidden folders (On Mac this is done by holding (shift) + (command) + (.) keys simultaneously).

Second, I went to my “root” user (/home) folder, by searching for it separately. There I found a hidden folder for wine in which I found the newer save. Then I repeated the process and found a backup folder from before I reinstalled wine. After that, all I had to do was replace the save files in the newer wine folder with the backup ones. This was the only way I could get my computer to show the game save files, as they were not found in the Saved Games folder if I didn’t go there through the correct path. I suspect this is to do with the mechanics of wine on Mac.

The full path to the save files was:
my user account/home > .wine (hidden folder) > drive_c > users > my user account > Saved Games > Pokemon Insurgence.
This folder had the save file that I was unable to find by going straight to the Saved Games folder. My original file I found similarly, except the folder for the old wine was (.wine.bak)

I hope I am able to help somebody else with this.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure you could just do command spacebar
:/library and then applications and then wine

but again been a long time since i used mac…