A description of some Hiker really pissing me off

Alright so for some background, this happened in the Rezzai Desert, with Hiker Dorothy. I like to train my pokemon like this: I set a specific level as a max, then I level up everyone to that level. My Houndoom is at level 43 and everyone else is at level 44 so I’m using him only. Then I see a Hiker. I figure I should save then repeatedly soft reset for good results since he probably has a ground and/or rock type. However, he uses a Scrafty. Now here is my problem with him. His High Jump Kick never provides me with good results. It’s at level 40 so I assume it’s a free kill. My Houndoom uses Fire Fang to deal pathetic damage and then he one shots me with High Jump Kick. No problem, I think to myself. I soft reset for better results. I also give my Focus Band to it. However, my next attempts go pathetically as well and I start getting pretty triggered. My moveset really isn’t doing me much good either. Embargo is useless as most generic route trainers don’t have held or recovery items for their pokemon, Beat Up won’t do anything notable (1/4 effectiveness and only 4 party members) and Roar has -6 priority so it’s no good. However, Fire Fang is absolutely depressing. Due to the Focus Band, Fire Fang and HJK (High Jump Kick) accuracy, Scrafty has four separate 1/10 chances to not kill me with HJK (1/10 to flinch with Fire Fang, 1/10 to burn with Fire Fang, 1/10 to survive with 1 HP and 1/10 chance to miss HJK, causing recoil damage) However, that “4/10 chance” only prevails for me twice, both times causing a burn for Scrafty. However, HJK still manages to deal enough damage that it’ll kill me with Chip Away before Houndoom kills it. I know these are simple game mechanics but it just triggers me that after all those separate chances for something to go my way, it ends up being useless in the end. Thankfully, it eventually missed it’s HJK on the turn my Houndoom used Roar, thankfully forcing him to switch into Stantler (Funny enough, his final pokemon was Gigalith so everything could have just gone down the drain) My Houndoom kills the Stantler easily and then he switches into Gigalith. Since I know that thing is fully capable of destroying my Houndoom, I just use up a turn to switch into Seadra. Then my Houndoom levels up so everyone is at level 44. Due to this, My brain now allows me to use Delta Typhlosion and I land a Discharge. However, It doesn’t kill and the Scrafty uses HJK on my Delta Typhlosion. I’m mentally prepared to accept my Delta Typhlosion to faint since I’m pretty close to Roggan Town when, as if God decided this joke had gone on long enough, it’s HJK missed, killing itself with recoil. I then wonder how the heck I somehow managed to get a miss when it didn’t even matter anymore. The battle then ends.

That was probably the most annoying battle I have ever had in any pokemon game.

4 Likes

Eh. Welcome to my (and possibly many others’) world. I crit when the opponent has 1 hp but I can miss Leech Seed or Toxic for 2 or 3 times in a row. Let’s not speak about Stone Edge! For what I see, SE might as well have 10% accuracy.

1 Like

Ikr, I miss Thunder 4/5 times in competitive, but when it lands, it always paralyzes…

Doesn’t thunder have a 30% paralysis chance?

Ya, which is why its kinda rare.